Changing wheel hubs on Leyland Daf 4x4

MilitaryTrucks

The stock hubs fit an old imperial size tyre 12.00 R20 which is rare and difficult to get hold of and likely to become more so. The new tyre law from 1/2/21 mean you have to have a tyre less than 10 years old on the front axle and the military tyres the vehicle comes with are all pre 2000. I want to change the hubs to fit a common metric size tyre of 315x80 which is slightly larger but nothing that will cause a problem. To do this I need new rims and have been qouted including VAT around £90 to £150. The issue is they are a 10 stud fixing and the Daf is eight stud. Aparently a stock rim to fit this metric size tyre would fit without any offset problems the issue is the number of studs. Does anyone know a good supplier of wheel hubs that I could contact to get the five hubs I need? Aspect have been recomended but the cost is £400 plus per rim which is more than a new tyre. They would obviously be really good quality but it is too much for my pocket.

It has been suggested buying the 10 stud rims and then cutting the eight stud center off  my existing rims and replacing the 10 studs fixings on the metric hubs with these. Sounds dubious to me but apparently the rims are made without the fixing 'plate' and these are welded on afterwards. Not being a fabricator or welder this is not something I would consider and it would need someone skilled to ensure the weld was structurally sound and presumeably ensure the hub was balanced. I would also prefer to keep the original hubs and tyres for authenticty puposes and use the metric ones for pleasure driving.

Alternatively if anyone knows where I can get a supply of second hand 12.00 R20 tyres that have a few years left or just a few thousand miles of wear plus a few years or more to give me some searching time this would also be an option. I am not after an off road tyre a normal HGV road pattern would do.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Bob

I would imagine that it would be much easier to get some on/off road 1200 R 20s.  They would normally be used overseas rather than in UK but the big tyre dealers would stock them for export.  An example is Barum NB27 if they are still available.

John

• Thanks 1

I think that there could be a loophole in the 10 year steer tyre regulations, they clearly state that it applies to GOODS vehicles, so as long as the vehicle is not being used commercially it should not be classed as a goods vehicle. When I had my Leyland Daf MoTed  in December I asked the tester about the upcoming tyre regulations and I was told that as mine is registered as a Motor Caravan since first registration it is exempt from the tyre rules  as it is not a goods 

• Thanks 1

Seeing as your current tyres are over 20 years old it would make sense to change them regardless of the regulations.

Vraking in the Netherlands have new 12R20 Michelin XDY3 available but no price on the site.

https://vrakking-tires.com/20-inch/680-1200r20-michelin-xdy3.html

Edited by radiomike7
  • Thanks 1

Search for 1200r 20 tyres gives a number of companies selling them.  Add off road and you get more options.  Big tyres, se tyres, tyres guru and vrakking tires all come up with options.  It must be easier to get the right size tyres which will solve the problem for 10 years.  Ensure you are specific about the date - I could only get Aug 18 tyres for my EKA.

• Thanks 1

I am afraid that John Wardle is wrong about living vans and the new regulations.  An answer to a recent parliamentary question on this point, amongst others said:

"The vehicles operated by the Ministry of Defence are within the scope of the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) (Amendment) Regulations 2020.

Vehicles that were originally built as heavy goods vehicles but have been converted to be a living van (under the C&U regulations definition) are within the scope of the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) (Amendment) Regulations 2020.

Vehicles of historical interest, as defined in the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) (Amendment) Regulations 2020, will be exempt from these regulations irrespective of the load. However, if such a vehicle is being used commercially, it is not exempted from these regulations, as it is important to balance the granting of any exemptions with the safety of all road users.

Date and time of answer: 11 Jan 2021 at 12:15."

John

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1