25 pounder value

I have been asked to value various military items as the owner is getting divorced, I have managed to get reasonable values for most of his collection but I am stumped with his 25 pounder. It is in quite good condition with all CES, has anyone a rough idea of what it would be worth?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

For the Australian membership, a 25Pr was auctioned in NSW in the last fortnight or so.  It was deactivated and looked OK (needing cleaning up and a new paint job), and had been under cover for a long time, which is better than most.  Completeness of the gun itself was acceptable, but no CES.  Hammer price was $20,000 plus 20% commission, so pretty much aligns with the GBP 12,000 suggested above. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies, I  valued it at £12,500. His wife thought it was worth £30,000! Among his other vehicles he has an ex Swiss army Unimog 401, when I found out how much they sell for (If you can find one) I nearly fell off my chair.

• 1 month later...

A way of valuing a good buying price may be to work out what a restored on is worth (GBP 12,500?)  minus the cost of the restoration.  What is missing, and how likely are you going to find these missing bits?  How much will they cost to buy if they turn up?

One of the killers of 25Pr value is the steel wheel rims and tyres.  Left outside for a long time, the rims rust out along the tyre beading.  This writes the rims off, but the tyre can be salvageable if very carefully removed. A time consuming process that requires patience from my experience.  If the rims are stuffed, where do you get spares?

PS. Use all normal precautions in inflating the tyres on split rims in a cage. Avoid using corroded and damaged rims.  If there is any sudden and unexpected way to die in gun and vehicle restoration, it is via a wheel's locking rim suddenly letting go.