RAF 3HW?

Rupert

Hi, just in the middle of some remedial tin-bashing with my 1942 3HW, which has involved localised sanding through various layers of paint on the rear mudguard tailpiece.

Sanding has revealed that under the expected green (looks like DBG?) is RAF blue with red oxide primer under it then base metal, the same blue is also visible here and there on the rear rack and mudguard brackets.

So assuming that these parts are original to my bike which was produced 7/42 as part of contract C13948, it's feasible that these are surplus parts from the preceding RAF contract C12492, overpainted in green to suit the army?

If so the rear guard tailpiece shows a detail which may or may not be known about already, if it is an original RAF finish? (Apologies if it is already common knowledge) -

3 Gold pinstripes over the RAF Blue down the centre rib.

Details of these are -

centre pinstripe 3/16" wide

1/8" space either side of that to a further pinstripe on either side 1/16" wide.

Happy to be told that I'm barking up the wrong tree and this was all done to it in the 1970's...

Rupert.

Rupert.  All vehicles and motorcycle were supplied in "Service Colour" throughout the duration of hostilities. Green or Brown. RAF Blue Grey resumed again after the war.

The post war Triumph TRW's were supplied in gloss green and gloss RAF blue and did indeed often have gold pinstripes. You often see the NOS tail pieces for sale. From memory they are longer than the war time models. I think the rear carrier is the same as 3HW?  Certainly the panniers are the same. Ron 

img_4.jpg

Edited by Ron