Jeep gunrack

grey on top

Question

I am trying to identify an extra piece bolted on to the butt end of a gun rack I found on my jeep. I suspect it is so that the rack will hold something different to the standard M1, Thompson or Garrand rifle used during the war. Might it be French and added post war? 

The first picture shows this extra piece/bracket. The second shows where it bolts to the end of the gun rack - I have left a small gap as it normally sits tight up against the end of the rack. The right angled pivoted bracket has the webbing/padding covered over as it is currently masked off for paint spraying.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

gun rack.3.jpeg

gun rack.2.jpeg

gun rack.1.jpeg

6 answers to this question

Hi the jeep gun rack is normally mounted on the brackets on the front windscreen . When I purchased my  jeep it came with the gun rack not mounted ..I was keen to have the vehicle appear as authentic as possible and mounted the rack but within a few days I had dismounted it as had the previous owner ..

Whilst in war time it's positioning was a necessity it's actually in a very awkward position . Can impact your free movement of hands on  the  steering wheel and restrict vision . It's also fiddly to mount and dismount . I suspect that the fitment is a modification to allow the quick mounting and removal of the rack ..I have never see One before so suspect it might be a field modification 

Jenkinov

On 1/1/2021 at 9:41 PM, grey on top said:

I am trying to identify an extra piece bolted on to the butt end of a gun rack I found on my jeep. I suspect it is so that the rack will hold something different to the standard M1, Thompson or Garrand rifle used during the war. Might it be French and added post war? 

The first picture shows this extra piece/bracket. The second shows where it bolts to the end of the gun rack - I have left a small gap as it normally sits tight up against the end of the rack. The right angled pivoted bracket has the webbing/padding covered over as it is currently masked off for paint free spins no deposit freespinsnodep.comspraying.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

gun rack.3.jpeg

gun rack.2.jpeg

gun rack.1.jpeg

Did you figure it out? I'm also curious.