Restful video (1924) of barging from Whitechapel to Paddington with some old lorries and buses

pc1959

I played along the Islington section of this canal as a child, and many years later travelled it by narrowboat.it has changed so much its hard to recognise now i think it is part of the Grand Union / Regents canal ,we see Stepney green station on Mile end road, Gardiners corner at Aldgate glimpses of Victoria park and Broadway Market in Hackney moving into Islington, Eagle wharf basin and the Islington tunnel running from the Angel to Caledonian road 960 yards long up through Camden lock into Regents park alongside London zoo where there is a gate to access the zoo from the towpath this is also the site of a barge load of munitions exploding Oct 1874 this was also a route to the Enfield factories this is all off the top of my head so do not quote me there my be inaccuracies  

1 hour ago, oats and barley said:

this is all off the top of my head so do not quote me there my be inaccuracies  

I think you have nailed it! I recognised some parts around the Regents canal and Paddington, and the strange turret on the building near Kings Cross Station. Thanks for filling in the gaps.

Yes that was a  brief description i missed out Kings Cross ,York way previously York road with redundant York road station. alongside Goodsway up into the now famous Camden Lock Market there is a sharp right turn into Regents Park the 1874 explosion makes great reading  dead fish were landing in the West End the keel of the tug was found 300 yds away embedded in a house and the bang was heard 20 miles away and local were concerned animals from the zoo were killed or had escaped !

On 11/17/2020 at 11:14 PM, pc1959 said:

I found this video of Barging Through Old London in 1924 in colour [AI enhanced and colourized] very restful to watch, a few good shots of traffic showing what may be pre WW1 commercial vehicles:

thanks for sharing, what a lovely piece of film.