Does my Helmet look OK to you?

Jessie The Jeep

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Queen Mary or Titanic?

I don't know why but this reminded me of a quip my wife came out with.

The QE2 is being decommissioned next year, it's fortieth year at sea. I suggested to my wife that we go on one of her final cruises next May, to coincide with our fortieth wedding anniversary. Romantic or what?

"I'm not getting on that old bath tub," she said. So it's a modern cruise liner, sailing out of Miami, around the Caribbean. Remember fellas, if romance means less wonga, they don't want to know. It happened waaaaaaay back when on our fifth anniversary, I sent her five boxed red roses. Do you know what she said?

"Only FIVE?" And there I was trying to be romantic.

Funny enough I was talking to guys from the first gulf about ambulances. My 101 was there with 4th Armoured. They were saying the roof cross was always covered, the British knew what it was and the Yanks used them for targets. Medical personnel can carry arms for self defence, but cannot initiate a fire fight.

I was a heavy Mech Infantry platoon leader during Gulf I (BFV's) None of our Medic tracks (M-113A1's fitted for litters) were marked with red crosses. Our standard is that company medics will evacuate from the forward trace under the direction of the company First Sergeant (an infantry NCO)to the casualty collection point. All available (back then Duce's) FMTV's will then perform CASEVAC duty. This requires no special markings but does require an empty bed (cleaned) and no other cargo allowed (ammo, chow, etc.)

It has been some time since I have seen a US vehicle with red crosses, I believe it was a Gamma Goat ambulance in the early 1970's.

No Dice! None of our "Victors" are marked with the red cross.

'bout the only time you will see them is when the ICRC shows up to check out detainees.

I have not even seen DUSTOFF with them. They use ambulance configured Blackhawks in OD green.

I Did see quite a few Green Cresent vehicles in Gulf I and A-stan

• 3 weeks later...