Worm drive axle

Steve mutch

I wonder if you can shed any light on my mystery axle ? I  realise that you have issues with COVID at present but perhaps at some point you may find time to look.
I have been searching for an answer for some time and have been looking at mostly British built vehicles as I live in north East Scotland and found the axle nearby.

I have a vintage axle that I am struggling to identify and wondered if Anyone may be able to help.
I have looked on the internet and vintage books but I'm struggling to find out what it was originally fitted to but it may be from a 1910s /20s car or small commercial vehicle ?
It has a top mounted worm drive diff, top mounted leaf spring brackets, cute rear mounted oil filler with swing lid, 9 inch brake drums with 2 sets of shoes each side and the cam levers mounted at the front. It also has 5 wheel studs and would have had artillery wheels fitted but they are badly corroded. There is very little in the way of identification as the screw on hub/bearing caps are missing. The worm gear differential has a "DBS" in a circle mark which is the patent stamp of David Brown & Son ,they would have made the worm gear but who would have made the axle and  what vehicle was it fitted to ?
The only other name I have found is one on the brass diff drain plug that is stamped with "Showells Strichley". A West Midlands company that made all things brass until mid 1900,s but I cannot find a link to a vehicle maker.
I have attached a picture.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Kind regards 
Steve Mutch 

E42CD925-742F-4BEA-89F8-864E6C0E12BA.jpeg

A785C0C0-C1B9-413B-8898-F4FF2A78B218.jpeg

81EA0222-F87A-4E8C-8140-51DF2C8FA5A6.jpeg