Penthouse Light/Wiring Loom

Morning everyone, hope all is well with you.

I’ve acquired a set of Penthouse Lamps to use within a CP but need to make up a cable loom to power them, I’ve been issued some connectors (3pin) too.

Questions are to seek confirmation on the connection, so ...

1. I presume I need to solder my wires onto the prongs (spoon/scoop shaped) inside the connector?

2. Also there is a small insert inside the connector, do I drill out the holes to hold the wires?

3. What gauge wire should I use and should it be three moulded together?

4. Where do I connect the Earth?

Thanks for the help, I’ve attached some photos although you’ve seen these before.

Andy

F371F856-68DC-44A3-B153-FA2C47DCBCF1.jpeg

212EFBD5-5866-4402-A68C-3998DFA9A3A8.jpeg

0FDF393B-8971-4708-92F0-FB87EE2E9700.jpeg

41BD7A8E-DE0D-41CC-A2F1-159BD9D6C5C9.jpeg

53A9072C-3D91-4BE0-9BB3-6D38C98887CF.jpeg

32956CE6-894C-4A9D-B1CC-6B11432113E3.jpeg

Dear Andy,

thank you for posting, I am facing the same needs you have. Where did the connectors come from and what kind of cost, you say "issued" which implies no cost.

I bought some of these and have to start to clean them and make them serviceable. What have you done about the tubes inside?

Hi Gents,  I came across this older post that seems to answer the pin wiring information http://hmvf.co.uk/topic/28153-which-cables-are-used-to-power-a-penthouse-lamp/

The pin information was from EMER WORKSHOPS F100 Chapter 105 which gives the conventions relating 3-pin 24v connections.  It appears that the pin opposite the keyway is +ve Pin B, Pin A -ve, Pin C earth.

I hope this helps with the wiring at least.

Best,

Robin

50 minutes ago, raeross said:

Hi Gents,  I came across this older post that seems to answer the pin wiring information http://hmvf.co.uk/topic/28153-which-cables-are-used-to-power-a-penthouse-lamp/

The pin information was from EMER WORKSHOPS F100 Chapter 105 which gives the conventions relating 3-pin 24v connections.  It appears that the pin opposite the keyway is +ve Pin B, Pin A -ve, Pin C earth.

I hope this helps with the wiring at least.

Best,

Robin

Yes I’ve seen something like this elsewhere, I drew a rough sketch so from the pos and neg terminals on the Rover the + and - connections are ok but where does the earth connection run to or what do I connect it to?

0D28DC69-A63D-442C-ABD5-42370D93D227.jpeg

Hi CivPop,

Though not a 'technical' response, and I welcome any corrections.  I never was a vehicle tech and I am working from 20+ year old memories of vehicular radio installations.

I believe that the Earth would go to shielding to suppress ignition noise.  From a quick google, I did not see any advertised penthousewiring that seemed to be shielded; however it the same lamps were used inside CP vehicles, they would have had shielded cables.  You can probably connect C to vehicle ground; it will likely carry the ground between daisy chained lamp units..    You could solder a short (10-15 cm) wire to pin C,  on the vehicle mounting point.  Attach a ring connector at the other end and then connect it to one of the mounting screws for the vehicle side connector.  The vehicle end connector is likely a female type as in your top picture.

Robin

I would think that the purpose of the earthed shielding is two fold.

1. To minimise the radiation of the oscillator and its harmonics that drives the inverter supplementing the RF filtering within the lighting units. So minimising RFI to nearby comms equipment & I suppose reduce a permanent RF signature to an enemy who might be able to detect activity in an otherwise closed down situation in the battlefield.

2. To minimise the pick up stray RF fields or EMP that may be present in the vicinity & cause voltage fluctuations or damage to the lighting units.