How Can I find M.O.S. Scammell History?

N.O.S.

I've been following advice given to trace MV histories, and wonder if anyone can help with this one, as it might not be so straightforward?

Scammell Constructor, with wooden ballast body, as used to move tanks from factories (service run by the Home Office, sometimes with civilian drivers for empty runs). Issued with civilian registration number in PGK series (Home Office).

This was part of a 1955 order for 4 (later changed to 2) - interesting that a sales order alteration for the 2 cancelled vehicles showed tyre spec altered to 14.00x20 from the usual 12.00x20.

Museum of Transport Beverley responded to request from previous owner, advising that this vehicle had been on trial at Chertsey 1955-6, indeed it came to me still fitted with a steel Matador-style cover on ballast body with remains of a lot of instrumentation and wiring. This suggests it might have remained at FVRDE for its service life.

These 2 are not the demonstrators illustrated in Pat Ware's Tugs of War as being supplied to FVRDE for evaluation (after deliveries of production vehicles had commenced in 1952!), though it is possible that this vehicle was supplied as a replacement for the demonstrators for long term evaluation :dunno:

Any ideas on how to go about this?

Scammell Constructor, with wooden ballast body, as used to move tanks from factories (service run by the Home Office, sometimes with civilian drivers for empty runs). Issued with civilian registration number in PGK series (Home Office).

Hi Tony,

I have seen photos of these civvy driven transporters, moving Centurions to the Vehicle Depots, trying to remember the base they operated from, think it was around the Yorkshire area. Think they may have been in Wheels & Tracks, will keep a look out.

Are you sure they were run by the Home Office? I thought it was the Ministry of Supply.

You are right Richard, it was MOS who ran the job.

Try Page 22 of Bob Tuck's '100 years of heavy haulage' - MOS depot at Knottingley on A1 (where Ferrybridge Services now are).

NGY 593 shown, with new Centurion Tank from Vickers factory at Newcastle, was part of 1953 6 vehicle order for civilian use (6/VEH/11698/CB27B).

Driver Stan Wass related that MOS rule was to average 5mph max. As their top speed was 38mph, they had to park up after 55 miles, which could be as early as 2pm....... :schocked:

Is there some extra sheet metal on the cab roof or where they made that way? also were there sides to the hood area?

That is a tropical roof, it has an air gap to keep the cab coller ( well ,that was the idea), and yes there were bonnet sides, normally, but it is not unknown for them to be removed to access the engine, then drive off and run them over!

Hi air portable tipper deuce man!

The extra roof is a classic Scammell "standard" accessory - they made a lot of trucks like this one for oilfield work, and fitted the heat shield to stop crews from being fried by the sun!

The trucks all had louvred side panels to the engine compartment, these are in the "secure store"......had to make a pair for the last one!

How's your truck restoration coming on? You must have been one of the very early importers, I believe quite a few larger trucks have been heading stateside in the last few years.

Thanks for the details. So far they <the restoration company > have gotten the engine running , this is the first time its run in 10 years . It will still need to be completely gone thru as I m concerned about low oil pressure that it had since I first drove it. They will be going into all its systems just to make sure things are in good order.All the wood has been removed , the troop seats and head board, for paint removal and to see how much will be reuseable since the truck was out doors for the last 17 years in New England weather , Similar to what you have there wet , damp with periods of heat .

The Wheels and Tracks edition you need is number 62.

The article records that 6 were aquired in1953 and they were the first produced for the civilian market.

In the article vehicle numbers NGY 593 and NGY 635 are visable.

It also records that they were of the export type with narrow cab complete with sun shield on the cab.

Thanks for that info, REME 245.

Not one of the 7 W&Ts in my possession, so another borrow job from a mate!

I guess what I am trying to find out is

A) Is there any way of accessing FVRDE records to find out what PKG 888 might have done, and when disposal date was, given that the registration no. is civilian, not army?

B) Were more than the 6 mentioned produced for the MOS tank haul job? (I'll check out W&T article)

The 2 supplied in 1955 were PGK 887 (might be the one owned by Steve Guest with big replacement cab?) and PGK 888.

A Scammell expert reckons the 2 cancelled ones were in fact produced and sent to Australia - possibly to the armed forces there? Was there any tie-up between UK and Australian army army?