Jason

Jason Dent

Question

Hello guys / girls, 

I have recently purchased a 1945 willys jeep and I’m the process of resorting it. 
after steam cleaning various layers of paint oof of it I managed to get down the the original green in places, one place being the hood! I have a set of numbers from the side that I can read clearly which I am really pleased with.. 

My question is , what info/history can I trace with these numbers ? Is there a certain website to look on or place I can phone that has the history of the jeep ? 

Thanks in advance everyone 👍

jase. 

2 answers to this question

It depends on what you mean by history, if you mean the unit it served with your only hope is to find original markings on the front or rear bumpers. I would suggest you join the G503 forum, that's where most of the jeep experts hang out. 

the only information one can get from the original bonnet/hood number is to clarify the production build date,  the date of delivery, which is stamped on the dash locker lid plates if your jeep still has the original plates, there are no surviving military records of the history where the jeep served that could be ascertained from the hood number,..bare in mind so many jeeps were completly overhauled, rebuilt from overhauled parts, sometimes several times, whilst in service, so the bonnet may not be the original one

Edited by Nick Johns