Sherman at Cassino

mtskull

Educating myself via threads on this forum and elsewhere, I reckon this is an M4 (75).

The only inconsistency is the rear plate, which lacks the cutaway associated with radial engined variants. Post war modification by another nation’s army perhaps? 

The plaque adjacent to the memorial states that the tank was “re-hashed” (sic) after the war. Possibly something lost in translation, or is this a tank with a history unrelated to the battle of Cassino, acquired to represent those that took part?

Edited by mtskull

It certainly looks like a radial Sherman all the rear top deck looks correct and the rear plate has the cut out for the cranking handle (round rod with a pin through it)

do you have a picture of the cutaway that is on the rear plate that you say is associated with radials.

Grizzly cast hull Sherman's do have a scalped out section on the rear centre top.

why I do not know?

This is an M4 75mm Sherman fitted from new with vertical volute spring suspension and built post August 1943. It is what is known as an "ultimate series" tank as it has the bigger front hatches that don't intrude into the less sloped glassis plate, the final version of the radial engine installation with the oil filler cap in the rear section of engine deck, no cutout in the lower edge of the upper rear armour. Inside the wiring, seats and most stowage are very different to earlier Shermans. The turret is the correct "high bustle" late 75mm one with the correct vision cupola but the gun mantlet and turret front are from a much earlier Sherman. The mantlet should be the full width of the turret front which should have extra slots in it for the mounting bolts of the M34A1 mount.

It is possible that it was originally a 105mm howitzer tank as these had basically the same turret but with a different front, gun and mantlet but only by looking at the internal ammunition stowage would one know.

David

• 6 months later...

As stated above, this Sherman was built as a M4(105). After WW2, it was used by the Italian Army who converted it with a 75-mm gun.

This indeed is not a genuine Cassino battle relic. Many tanks set up as memorials are not genuine battle relics, but first served in Armies after WW2.

Nearby at Albaneta Farm is a genuine battle relic - see http://battlefieldsww2.50megs.com/polish_tank.htm

• Like 1

On 4/18/2020 at 1:02 PM, mcspool said:

As stated above, this Sherman was built as a M4(105). After WW2, it was used by the Italian Army who converted it with a 75-mm gun.

This indeed is not a genuine Cassino battle relic. Many tanks set up as memorials are not genuine battle relics, but first served in Armies after WW2.

Nearby at Albaneta Farm is a genuine battle relic - see http://battlefieldsww2.50megs.com/polish_tank.htm

Yup, visited that one. Whilst being respectful of the memorial and refraining from clambering over the tank, it was difficult to see what had knocked it out; no sign of armour penetration. Then I noticed the damage to the right front suspension and the upward deformation and failure of the sponson base; my immediate thoughts that it had run over a mine were subsequently confirmed.

Edited by mtskull
  • Like 1