Animal Transport Quiz

fv1609

From time to time the British Army has used animals of varying type & size to transport goods. I have identified these from documents dated from 1884 to 1959.

Who can identify these from the list below? These are pack & draught animals; I am not including mascots, animals for food or for message carrying or security etc

It may be that other animals have been used but I have included only those identified from lists together with some that definitely were not!

The scoring is for a correct answer, one point (un point). For an incorrect answer you lose one point (perdez un point)

Ass

Bullock

Camel (single humped)

Camel (double humped)

Cat (felix domesticus)

Dog, GS

Dog, RE

Donkey

Elephant

Emu

Homunculus

Jennet

Kangaroo, GS

Mule, GS

Mule, Pack (Sudan)

Mule, RA

Pony

Rhino

Sheep

Water buffalo

Yak

Zebra

Updated

Sorry I scr*wed up. It it now incudes draught (ie pulling) animals not just pack animals.

Ass (aka Donkey, far east term)

Bulloucks as draught animals.

Camel single hump (Dromadary)

Donkey (European term)

Elephant

Jennet (Pony stallion/ donkey mare)

Mule (Donkey stallion/pony mare)

Pony

dogs for various purposes.

The Indian army has the worlds largest mule stud.

Well done Tony for taking the plunge.

You scored 7 points (won 8, lost 1)

Ass Yes

Bullock No-I'd guess they were used for pulling carts

Camel (single humped) yes

Camel (double humped) yes I'm sure I've seen quiet a few camel photo's, and I'm don't think the forces would be humpist.

Cat (Felix domesticus) I like cat's, so I know very well they would either run the other way, or eat any food you wanted them to carry

Dog, GS no

Dog, RE Am I too cruel? but would dogs with bombs on them be trained to run to enemy tanks(and the dog could then be detonated by remote control)

Donkey yes

Elephant yes

Emu no

Homunculus Yes-if you can define the bantam regiments in WW1 as homunculus.

Jennet yes-at least by theSpanish army :-D

Kangaroo, GS no-paticularly nitroglycerin

Mule, GS yes

Mule, Pack (Sudan) yes

Mule, RA yes

Pony yes

Rhino no

Sheep no

Water buffalo no

Yak no

Zebra no

Let's see how the monkey with the pin(and admittedly a dictionary) does

Ass Yes

Bullock No-I'd guess they were used for pulling carts

Camel (single humped) yes

Camel (double humped) yes I'm sure I've seen quiet a few camel photo's, and I'm don't think the forces would be humpist.

Cat (Felix domesticus) I like cat's, so I know very well they would either run the other way, or eat any food you wanted them to carry

Dog, GS no

Dog, RE Am I too cruel? but would dogs with bombs on them be trained to run to enemy tanks(and the dog could then be detonated by remote control)

Donkey yes

Elephant yes

Emu no

Homunculus Yes-if you can define the bantam regiments in WW1 as homunculus.

Jennet yes-at least by theSpanish army :-D

Kangaroo, GS no-paticularly nitroglycerin

Mule, GS yes

Mule, Pack (Sudan) yes

Mule, RA yes

Pony yes

Rhino no

Sheep no

Water buffalo no

Yak no

Zebra no

Let's see how the monkey with the pin(and admittedly a dictionary) does

Well done DB I knew I could rely on you to have a go. You have scored 11 points & no errors. But you have missed a few.

However I think I screwed things up a bit. :oops:

I excluded draught animals, I shouldn't have done this. So I will modify the question. So you & Tony might want to have another bash. Although where either of you mentioned draught use, I have counted it as a point.

I was going to rebuke you for the monkey & pin comment, but looks as if you might be right ;-)

• 2 weeks later...

Well only two of you seemed to be brave enough to have a go.

There is no such thing a Dog GS & Dog RE but I have modified it to dog. So on a recount, Tony you have scored 9 points & come in second & Dougiebarder you have won the competition with 12 points. Well done.

I have documentary evidence that the animals marked * are/were considered suitable for service with the British Army in a pack or draught role.

*Ass

*Bullock

*Camel (single humped)

*Camel (double humped)

Cat (felix domesticus)

*Dog

*Donkey

*Elephant

Emu

Homunculus

*Jennet

Kangaroo, GS

*Mule, GS

*Mule, Pack (Sudan)

*Mule, RA

*Pony

Rhino

*Sheep

*Water buffalo

*Yak

Zebra

The sheep suprised me, yet it is rated at a 40 lb payload. The only photo of military use of sheep was found below, in search, enter "sheep sailor"

http://cas.awm.gov.au/TST2/cst.acct_master?surl=2074262539ZZWTDGQHBRUO64277&stype=2&simplesearch=&v_umo=&v_product_id=&screen_name=&screen_parms=&screen_type=RIGHT&bvers=4&bplatform=Microsoft%20Internet%20Explorer&bos=Win32

I was quiet relived to see that the military use of a sheep, was as a hatstand-it was with some trepidation that I searched an Australian site for a picture involving sheep and sailors :roll:

Well they all seemed to be enjoying themselves.