Royal Enfield Flying Flea

2ndArmourMad

• 2 weeks later...

I guess it's mostly post war civilian. Certainly the frame, front wheel, head/tail lamps and foot rests. If you count the teeth on the rear sprocket WD =35T ..Civy = 34T.  Any idea of engine number?

BTW I know you've only loosely hung it, but the front wheel goes the other way round🙂

Ron

5 minutes ago, Ron said:

I guess it's mostly post war civilian. Certainly the frame, front wheel, head/tail lamps and foot rests. If you count the teeth on the rear sprocket WD =35T ..Civy = 34T.  Any idea of engine number?

BTW I know you've only loosely hung it, but the front wheel goes the other way round🙂

Ron

Yes I know, I was just chucking it together to make a list of missing parts.

B3A3E499-8A47-4B83-86B5-D4C1F05AA4C7.jpeg

13 minutes ago, Ron said:

Ha Ha! You've painted it since the last picture an hour ago!!  Ron

Yes I’ve media blasted it and painted it, binned the front mudguard as I have a spare, removed the rear light as I have a ww2 one to fit and ordered up new tyres and inner tubes for it.

D63C9145-D11B-4D95-A049-BC8042E83F49.jpeg

BCE0EB69-2673-4C22-9424-804F8D366258.jpeg

E6160007-CFDC-4C8A-AA45-E1FDC53BC142.jpeg

OK I'm with you now. I don't think I've ever seen the two rods under the engine before. Is that an add on?

Just heads up also, you might have to watch the clearance between the saddle and toolbox (especially over any bumps) The WD frames where modified to raise the saddle and move it back to accommodate the toolbox which in turn was re-positioned under the saddle to make room for the Maze air filter. Ron

Painting it green makes it look "WD" but there is a vast difference between the genuine WD Flea and the civvy version.........

Frame.....(different saddle mounts front and rear).........handlebars (different shape)...handlebar stem bolt (different design)....headlight and tail-light (different pattern).......toolbox (different design)......footrest assembly (different design).......headlamp brackets (different length)......engine crankcases (different design)......conrod assembly (narrower).....cylinder barrel (threaded exhaust port)...exhaust pipe and auxiliary silence (different design)......rear sprocket (one more tooth).....engine timing cover (different design)......kickstarter (different design)...carburetter (different type), etc, etc........

Far more complicated to accurately convert a civilian Flea into a WD version compared with a James ML !!!

1 hour ago, Ron said:

OK I'm with you now. I don't think I've ever seen the two rods under the engine before. Is that an add on?

Just heads up also, you might have to watch the clearance between the saddle and toolbox (especially over any bumps) The WD frames where modified to raise the saddle and move it back to accommodate the toolbox which in turn was re-positioned under the saddle to make room for the Maze air filter. Ron

Yes I’m fully aware of all the military differences.

30 minutes ago, wdbikemad said:

Painting it green makes it look "WD" but there is a vast difference between the genuine WD Flea and the civvy version.........

Frame.....(different saddle mounts front and rear).........handlebars (different shape)...handlebar stem bolt (different design)....headlight and tail-light (different pattern).......toolbox (different design)......footrest assembly (different design).......headlamp brackets (different length)......engine crankcases (different design)......conrod assembly (narrower).....cylinder barrel (threaded exhaust port)...exhaust pipe and auxiliary silence (different design)......rear sprocket (one more tooth).....engine timing cover (different design)......kickstarter (different design)...carburetter (different type), etc, etc........

Far more complicated to accurately convert a civilian Flea into a WD version compared with a James ML !!!

But what you really have to ask yourself is, Do I care ? and the answer is no I don’t. 

It will be used and it has been saved from rotting away which is the important thing, if the flea police wanna get geeky then fine but I’ve better things to do.

That's absolutely fine. I just thought that since you started the thread with pictures, you might have wanted some feed back with additional information. But now I know that you already know it all and have better things to do, I'll let you get on with it in your own fashion.  Ron Done!

• Like 3

My sentiments exactly Ron ! But also wholeheartedly agree that it's better to save a bike than let it rot away, and also to do it exactly as you want !!! That's fine by me and everyone's right to do so........

But I always thought that this was a Military vehicles forum, and if you know that it's a civilian bike and choose to repaint it in olive drab then that doesn't make it a military vehicle so not really relevant here........Most people post here for providing or seeking information on military projects that they have done or are working on, and naturally therefore you will invite comment..........sorry, but it wasn't clear that you didn't seek any information or advice so my apologies if I got this wrong......

In a group such as this, there are many, many knowledgeable individuals here and the majority of Group members value that vast pool of information or they simply wouldn't be here.......to refer to knowledgeable comment as "flea police" and being "geeky" is not the kind of remark expected here........

As for me, I wrote the definitive reference book on WD motorcycles and have restored 3 flying flea's over the years.......Ron is equally knowledgeable.....if that makes me a "geek" then I can live with that...........and as for "police", no thanks, I'm retired now having done real policing for 30 years........Steve

• Like 3

If the motorcycle section of this forum was moderated for military content then no, you probably wouldn't be able to get on with posting.  I have a Norton Commando. is the name enough to make it military ?

Edited by 79x100

15 minutes ago, 79x100 said:

If the motorcycle section of this forum was moderated for military content then no, you probably wouldn't be able to get on with posting.  I have a Norton Commando. is the name enough to make it military ?

Who are you, Steve didn’t say you were knowledgeable unlike Ron so until he does you might have to keep your Norton Commando on gumtree. 

Edited by 2ndArmourMad

Steve knows that I'm knowledgeable. So does Ron actually.  Both of them are aware that later-war 2-strokes aren't really my thing but perhaps appreciate that the hundreds of hours I spend researching in archives assists in the understanding and appreciation of historic military motorcycles. I promise not to annoy you on the Civvy Stinkwheel Forum though.

7 minutes ago, 79x100 said:

Steve knows that I'm knowledgeable. So does Ron actually.  Both of them are aware that later-war 2-strokes aren't really my thing but perhaps appreciate that the hundreds of hours I spend researching in archives assists in the understanding and appreciation of historic military motorcycles. I promise not to annoy you on the Civvy Stinkwheel Forum though.

Oh what’s the website address for that ? I did google your user name and searched on here but sadly only more dribble came up, and I guess I’ll have to believe you about your love of strokes (less said the better maybe).

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...