1944 cckw 353 opencab

2ndArmourMad

I seem to have acquired another jimmy, this time a 1944 open cab, needs a light overhaul after standing a while.

First up a carb strip and clean new gaskets, new flexi hose, clean the filter new seals, check of the pump etc 

once at my workshop I will get on and refit the mud guards once painted and sort a few areas of rust, get the rear lights reworked in etc

nice looking truck tho! 

EBAC01C2-C730-43C6-BEEB-152AADDEAC4B.jpeg

B3EE0BBC-6CD9-4524-9CFD-3044A3AB3030.jpeg

84AE7DF4-E3BB-41B2-B218-7371AA5C6E89.jpeg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Slight issue found with the mud flap support bars, as the body on the truck was a wooden one I’ve found it has had different bars fitted at some point.

Two of the support bars that should be stepped are just bent as the wooden body had a large bit of wood bolted to the support. 

Anyway luckily I have another set so I will make up two new support bars!

A photo with my spare set test fitted, note the extra lights fitted on them.

8318EF9E-2031-4F29-9559-50C35A5B316E.jpeg

Then I removed the PTO as the output shaft oil seal is leaking and I need to strip the unit to check the size of the seal.

luckily I did as the box had no oil in it and what was in there looked like Cadbury’s cream egg.... oh dear...

anyway after removing the PTO, shaft and front knuckle I cleaned out what I could from the gearbox removing the inspection plate  and pulled the studs on the PTO side. I have several spare gearboxes do I removed another inspection plate from on, made two gaskets and bolted everything back up. 

I have filled the gearbox with engine oil and engine cleaner/degreaser and went for a little drive....

Once back I drained the box, pulled both side plates and cleaned out the box again, now it’s lovely and clean inside. Tomorrow I will refill the box again with plain oil and repeat the process to ensure all the cleaning agent is out before fitting new gaskets and gearbox oil. 

The cause of the cream seems to be water getting in via the input seal, when I collected the truck the bell housing was full of rain water, a blocked drain hole in the lower inspection cover was to blame, this has now been removed and cleaned out with extra holes drilled as well

Phew 

7F9923BF-76D0-4A36-B3B7-562E93A80884.jpeg

077DB060-6B3A-4A3B-8D37-D274787D8478.jpeg

All fixed up and running great! 

The gearbox is now full of oil, as is all diff’s and the transfer box, axles and springs all greased up. Tyres to 55psi, engine has had a full service (I need to get a new dizzy plate) but everything is working fine.

Good day for a 25 mile drive my daughter loves going in these.

85647644-D893-4E0A-9CF6-46D39D9E3693.jpeg

2C4BE38E-B49C-4D26-93FD-E11F73839C4A.jpeg

• Like 1

Well after a very hot sunny bank holiday weekend, I have a leak! The Transfer box which was low on oil is now generously giving away its oil after I refilled it, via the main input shaft seal to the surrounding chassis and tarmac...

So I have ordered a full seal kit from LWD and hopefully I have it all fixed up again soon. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So after the little vintage show the manifold gasket failed blowing on outlet 3, the manifold which is a homemade job (not by me) was sent away for skimming but port three still has a blow by. 

So it’s time for a new/original manifold to be fitted I think. 

I will try and remember to take a photo tomorrow.

On 7/1/2019 at 1:58 AM, draganm said:

original manifold should be fairly easy to find no? they made millions of the GM inline 6's

No, they warp for a pastime and are not worth bothering with unless you can find a British made one. They are easily recognisable  as they have strengtheners cast into them but they are very rare. The other alternative is Rex Ward who has had new ones cast.