right hand drive jeep

terryb

3 hours ago, terryb said:

looking at converting a '43 Jeep to RHD-has anyone done this?

seen it done years ago too, biggest problem is to relocate the axle mounted steering relay, bellcrank, there's no room on the right of the axle due to the offset diff, would have to resort to similar arrangement as used on the CJ Jeeps with the relay mounted on the front crossmember

8 minutes ago, Nick Johns said:

seen it done years ago too, biggest problem is to relocate the axle mounted steering relay, bellcrank, there's no room on the right of the axle due to the offset diff, would have to resort to similar arrangement as used on the CJ Jeeps with the relay mounted on the front crossmember

Hi Nick,

A RHD conversion I once observed in Australia, did not have the relay arm on the axle, it was a similar set up to a Land Rover, mounted on chassis cross member, so did away with the inherrent problem of jeeps pulling to one side on braking.

Hi all,

I have a GPW as a daily driver that is RHD. I'm in Australia.

It was RHD when I bought it decades ago, in the days when LHD rego in Queensland was quite difficult (prove rego during 3 year post WW2 LHD amnesty). Being an ex-Australian military vehicle, I presume that it was converted by the army. Anyway, when I got it, the poor Jeep was in very poor condition, including the steering.

So I rebuilt the steering system using mostly parts from common vehicles. The drag link is along the outside of the chassis, bent to clear the tire on a right turn and connects to a 'C' shaped arm that bolts to a modified top king pin bearing cap. It is 'C' shaped to clear the brake hose. The pitman arms are relocated to the bottom of the CV housing. Also, the top shockie mount has been moved forward to allow clearance on a full right turn.

It has very noticeable, though not prohibitive 'brake-torque-steering'. This is when the axle housing rotates forward on the springs when braking, effectively changing the length of the drag link, causing it to pull to the left.

As the LHD laws here have become very easy, I intend to convert it back to original some day. Amusingly, I'll have to obtain a modern 'modification plate' as the vehicle will be deemed to be modified despite going back to factory specs!!!

My 2cents.

Sam.

Further to the previous learned RHD Jeep scholars comments I believe that you have two options are available to you. I converted a GPW using components sourced from a RHD version of the CJ3B which was sold here in Australia. Alternatively you can have the components made as per the attached photo. I have also added a number of photos for you to study. BTW the Jeep steered. well

RHDGPW.jpg

POL_0019.JPG

POL_0020.JPG

POL_0021.JPG

POL_0024.JPG

POL_0025.JPG

POL_0028.JPG

POL_0029.JPG

POL_0032.JPG