We have won!?

Jack

On Tuesday night at our Dorset MVT meet, John read out a letter to him from Hazel Blears.

She started the Deacts will and I repeat WILL be except from any ban as " they need to concentrate on the real criminals". It is there in black and white from the Minister so it looks like we have done it!

She stated that the response that she has had from all interested parties was over whelming..............

Stayed tuned for more details.

Don't celebrate - yet. Deacts were never going to be banned as such: they were banning the sale/hire/buying of them, not the possession. Problem is that 'real criminals' did buy deacts and did use them for crime. My wife was held up at gunpoint in a garage but recognised a deact when she saw one. She slammed his hand in the till, pulled off his balaclava, and pelted him with drinks cans until he ran off. DNA from the balaclava got him 7 years in prison a couple of months ago. She certainly would not have done that if the gun had been live: luckilly she can tell the difference. Personally, I think the Police should encourage the use of deacts in crime: no one gets hurt but it gives the Police marksman an excuse to shoot to kill and thins out the number of repeat offenders! (That is a joke by the way).

Let us hope that Hazel Blears is not 'spinning' us a reply!

........and I repeat WILL be except from any ban ......... Jack.

Sure they may not be banned, and you will be allowed to own them. But show me the bit where it says you will be allowed to TRADE them.

I too won't be celebrating yet.

Karoshi

I think you need to read the reply in context to the proposals. Can we see the whole letter for clarity? You may be right in your interpetation, and I could well be wrong, lets just say that at this moment you're a lone voice. Other interested parties dont speak with the same confidence.

I hope you're right.

Jack my fear is that this is careful manipulation of the facts. Symantec's.

In what context was the term ..."except (sic) from any ban" used?

Quoted out of context I agree it does sound encouraging, but I'm monitoring some other forums and they see it that, deacts won't be banned from ownership, i.e. you will be able to keep deacts already in your possession. The question of whether you will be allowed to TRADE deacts after the date still appears to be in question.

Perhaps somebody else can add to this?

If any of you want to read a transcript of the VCR Commitee meeting, where they are discussing the issues that concern us, go to this web page

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm/cmscviol.htm

and then click on "7th Sitting", this will give you the whole picture. When you get to the bottom, click on "continue" to bring up next page. It goes on a bit, but makes interesting reading.

It appears they have been shaken by the response to this issue.

Richard