East London Lwt

LarryH57

I saw this sad example of a ex RN Lwt in Whitechapel - I never knew that RN rather than Royal Marines had any of these!

That red line on the wheel points to a large hole in the floor that given time will be large enough to get through. Inside appears to be in use as a skip.

Hopefully someone does actually care for it. At the moment its the kind of vehicle that theives add to in the night so that over time it will be worth nicking!

Sorry if it's yours!

Lwt Land Rover .jpg

Edited by LarryH57

Well  ,  it is very wll known , owned by a internet forum person who goes under the handle of -  sickpup.

For any LWT enthusiast , who thinks he knows all  LoL  ,  this is  THE  one that defies known recorded history.  The owner has spent years on research , turned out a few surprises that defy all previously known - chassis numbers ,  VRM , service transfer(s)  and nomenclature plates specific to the RN.  I would have to do a few searches , the last info.  sickpup  reported on is most most interesting.  If ever  MJC does anorther re-print of his  1/2 Ton book then this LWT certainly deserves a couple of dedicated pages..  Certainly a  RARE  , rare  LWT.

-------------------------

Thread  ,  Navy Liveried Lightweight , on ExMLRA  Forum for starters.

Edited by ruxy
spelin

I recall this lightweight very well its history card turned up in amongst a batch of army  history cards there was a  nine year gap in its history if i remember right l contacted the branch at CHETWYN BARRACKS  and was given a reason for the missing years since then l did look in to these occrrence's that appeared on other vehicles some of which have a very simple answer others not as straight forward

2 hours ago, wally dugan said:

I recall this lightweight very well its history card turned up in amongst a batch of army  history cards there was a  nine year gap in its history if i remember right l contacted the branch at CHETWYN BARRACKS  and was given a reason for the missing years since then l did look in to these occrrence's that appeared on other vehicles some of which have a very simple answer others not as straight forward

Wally  ,  just checked  - your Beverly Museum letter is in here :-

https://forum.emlra.org//viewtopic.php?f=25&t=6577

--

I do have the odd similar LWT letter(s) ,  may have been obtained direct via.  CWG (deceased) latterly of Nothallerton.

• 9 months later...

Yep its mine and yes it looks terrible. Unfortunately living where I do in Central London its a constant fight to stop my motorcycles getting nicked and my Land Rover vandalised which is a problem for virtually every car in the street. Even the houses get tagged by wannabe graffiti artists.

The area is big with tourists of all types who come to drink to excess, take drugs, slum it and view the Graffiti art some of which is frankly amazing but this fuels graffiti tourism where wannabe artists come into the area and tag everything that they can even down to peoples cars, houses and front doors. The silver squiggle on the passenger window was done at about 4pm in front of several witnesses who just stood there and watched. My Cypriot neighbours who are quite special needs (seriously, not a joke) have even helped people climb onto it to take photos and been spoken to by the Police about this, they then deny it even when shown the CCTV of them helping.. Annoyingly most of the crime round here isn't by the locals it is by people visiting the area especially white middle class 20 somethings who come in to party and buy drugs especially crack and heroin. When you find a pissed 20something year old girl trying to climb on the roof because she thinks its cool you know you have problems.

There is the advantage that looking as it does hides that its a lot better than it looks. Over the last couple of years the brake system has been rebuilt, the cooling system rebuilt, screens replaced, electrics sorted, bulhead and vent panel repaired. At the moment if you look carefully you can see the rear crossmember is removed and will this summer be replaced with a galvanised one I have ready to fit. Before that goes on I have to remove the wiring loom and recover it with braid. Then weld up the passenger footwell, cure an exhaust leak and then its ready to go. Probably repaint and move it out to the other halfs place in South Wales to stop it being vandalised again as well.

Edited by sickpup
  • Like 3