Land rover Series 3 Ignition light fault

ploughman

Question

Just changed the Alternator belt on my S3 CL Petrol 2.25

Since fitting it the ignition light does not light up.  Other lights such as indicator and fuel gauge ok

Vehicle starts ok though, but no idea if the battery is just coping at the moment. No meters.

Is this due to :-

Disturbing the earth connection? Slacked off all 3 mounting bolts and retightened them.

Damaging the circuitry? Did not touch any wiring that I know of.

Alternator fault?

Something else?

4 answers to this question

The Series 3 CL , is a civvy BASIC with selections from the Optional Parts book , one is a ammeter.  I don't know why it was picked because the S3 Lightweight 12 volt model does without.

It is a old thread I did not see ,,

I would expect ploughman is not expecting what he is getting.  His new belt / tension is probably powering up the  Lucas 16ACR sooner.    As such it is not a 'Ignition warning lamp'  -  it is a "no-charge warning lamp" , subtle difference , the 16ACR is a 'machine sensed'.  The  RED  jewel lamp will / should  only just 'glow' when the Ignition is switched on (be aware in strong sunlight) , and engine stopped or  running very slowly as soon as the engine drives the alternator , then the aux. diodes produce a supply to the rotor (excitation)  - then the lamp is cancelled / extinguished  - since there is then no voltage difference across it  .   IIRC cancelled is between 500rpm & 800 rpm (tick-over speed depending on age / type of 2.1/4 pet. specifically.

The harness multi-plug is a PITA , it has a wire spring clip , can fly off on a bump, comes off the frame easily and lost - so many are just pushed in.  ploughman may have knocked it - I would push & re-fit a couple of times to clean the blades for good contact.  I would only fit a ACR for rivet counting (bigger than a 16) ,  in preference I normally fit a Prestolite  alternative ,,

Edited by ruxy
spelin