Hello all of you

hello to all of you.

I am martin (aka squirrel) and from Bristol.

I am on the look out for a Dodge WC51 or maybe a WC52. I have always liked the look of them and have now decided its time to get one.

I am new to the historic military scene but have always had classic and vintage vehicles. I have vehicles from the late 20's up so understand how to look after them, plus its my job maintaining all types of classic vehicles. I have worked on various things from early 1900's hit and miss stationary engines, steam traction engines, vintage and classic cars bikes and commercial vehicles up through to modern classic vehicles.   

I have been bought up in the classic vehicle scene since a very early age as my dad is into classic vehicles

well that gives you an insight to who I am.

hope to see you out and about somewhere.

cheers.

martin.

Edited by squirrel_sport

A man with the best of tatste! Do you really need a winch? Extra bits and complications. Good side of the Dodges, easy to maitain in most cases, nice to drive, room for kit, and useful  moving larger items about, washing machines, freezers, bricks etc. You can sleep in the back. Relitivley economic on fuel, get a 12 volt version, the 6 volt are OK but can be a bit of drag on stupid things like light bulbs.

Downsides the brakes do need to be adjusted corecttly! Which can be a fiddlesome job, but when set they do work. No doors, can be fun in the rain. The Dodge Dump. For some reason and it must be some form of weird US joke, the front canvas goes over the top of the rear canvas, which if not supported gets puddles forming. Not a problem till you come to an imprssive stop in front of admiring crowds, and the bloody water dosen't stop! Under the front canvas with high accuracy into your lap.

Well I am really after a wc51 but wouldnt rule out the wc52.

I had heard someone say about the tops being fun in the rain but didn't know why... now I do !!!

I would like a 12v one bug 6v isn't a problem as 2 of my other vehicles are 6v so have bulbs for them anyway and am used to candles as lights!!

I take it you have a wc51 then.. I was guessing around 10 - 12 mpg.. is that about right?

Edited by squirrel_sport

our current toys are :

1927 riley 9 Monaco , 1934 Raleigh safety 7 , 1954 series one fire land rover, 1964 vw beach buggy, 1965 Hillman super minx estate custom car,  1969 vw custom wizard roadster,  2000 Yamaha xvs1100 dragstar and then the modern vehicles.

I have recently sold a few other toys to fund getting a dodge wc51.

• Like 1

I have a WC51 and a WC54. Milage per gallon I'd guess is about right Both of mine were in Norway, thougfh the 54 was rebuilt in Germany post war. There are a couple of variations on the WC51, the earlier ones have no gap between the front of the body and the spare wheel for instance. The vehicles stayed in service for a long time and many were refurbished so non  matching numbers are quite common.

• Like 1