58 pattern kit

stryker

Question

Hi all,

i would to like to collect 58 pattern or later british army gear for an late 70's-early 80's re-enactment display. what should go for and what should for and what should i avoid?i am particularly interested in military police stuff

P.s what sort of price range should i be looking at?

james

3 answers to this question

Hi all,

i would to like to collect 58 pattern or later british army gear for an late 70's-early 80's re-enactment display. what should go for and what should for and what should i avoid?i am particularly interested in military police stuff

P.s what sort of price range should i be looking at?

james

I am guessing you want to depict an RMP crew in a Landrover.

1. Wear a 58 pattern web belt with respirator bag on the left-hand side. That's it. If I had stayed longer in the RMP and gone on exercise, like everybody else, I wouldn't wear my webbing whilst sat in a vehicle, but being RMP, I might wear my respirator on my belt. If my personal weapon was an SMG, I might mount a left-hand magazine pouch as well. If my personal weapon was the alternative, a pistol, I'd certainly wear a belt with holster, an ammo pouch, respirator and optional water bottle if hot.

If the theatre is hot, I might wear my water bottle pouch on the right-hand side. That's about as minimalist as I could get and balance wearing any webbing and being able to sit in the vehicle.

In this case, have a full set of webbing (belt, yoke, two ammo pouches, water bottle pouch, kidney pouches, cape carrier containing Mark 3 NBC suit) made up to have handy in the event of prolonged periods dismounted. Note that this will mean you at least need two belts and three ammo pouches). Throw in a large pack full of spare shreddies, long johns, woolly pullies, etc and you are sorted.

2. Wear a web belt because the RMP would be expected to wear a belt and the sergeant major might not take kindly. Throw everything else in the back as described above.

Don't forget a sleeping bag, some rations, a bivvy, etc.

Thanks lads.

James got his webbing and some good kit at Beltring for a pittance. I don't know why he wants to do RMP, but hey, I'm not fourteen. I think it is a good period to collect for him (meaning me!) because the kit is a lot cheaper. The sticking point will always be the hardware. My wife, who is his mother - the poor soul - does not like guns at all and won't have them in the house - even though we've sneaked in a few decent enough airsoft replicas. I would ideally like to get a Sterling for this game of soldiers - so he has a proper weapon - but he may have to do with an airsoft in a holster. It doesn't really matter that much - but the look is down to him. I have been concidering chopping the Iltis in favour of an LR - but in the last couple of days this idea has faded. I want to paint it field grey, stick a German cross on the side and do American war film re-enacting with Lightweight. I even have the correct wrong period M1 helmet to be an American and my Dutch army trousers go a treat with a very modern dot matrix camo US jacket. Thankfully the look is more Mothers Pride than gay pride. All we need now is a Telly Savalas lookalike to get things going properly on the road to Malmedy via Yugoslavia. Watch out for the Belgian drivers....