Albion?

Bodger Baz

It looks very much like an Albion BY5, but i actually think it is a Leyland Retreiver WLW. They are very similar, but the front wheels and the mudguards look like Leyland to me.

Come on now. Someone disagree with me!

Tim (too)

Ok, then Tim, (too)................ :whistle:

I'm thinking it IS an Albion BY5,....................my reasons for thinking this, as against the Leyland retreiver WLW,.......are.

1) underneith passenger side windscreen,horizontal plate, not seen this fitted to Leyland.

2) windscreen, the BY5 was fitted with screen, the BY3 was not..........as far as I can remember, neither was Leyland.

granted mudguards look more Leyland-ish than Albion,............but those in pic look to be a little battered. :-)

But, then again,...................I may be wrong.

Andy

Yes, it looks very similar to that Albion, but having gone through Barts books :rtfm: i think it looks more like this Leyland Retreiver:

width=440 height=327http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c309/Greatwartruck/l.jpg[/img]

Other pictures of Retreivers i have looked at have no cabs and are missing the gas detection plate in front of the passenger. However, as you can see both of these have both. The one thing that does look different to the Albion is the front Hubs. Baz's Albion picture has a capstan type hub for self extraction, but other Albion pictures that i have looked at are quite different from the Leyland.

Again, this is my opinion and i am happy to hear a different one. I am looking forwards to the day when i can say "well i have just popped down to the shed and compared the Albion to the Leyland and in my opinion it is a ......."

Tim (too) :box:

may be one like this? it has a very distinctive rear panel on the cab with a deep cut out in the middle. i have been told its a pontoon carrier but i'm no expert on these trucks. it's a 6 wheeler but could not see the front axle so not sure of 6x4 or 6x6. mechanically its all there but in poor state.

maybe looking for a new home?

yep, i agree, a leyland.

Many thanks for all your help folks.

Any one intreseted in the albion i pictured pm me, it could well be up for grabs to the right person :whistle: i.e someone brave enough to take on this monster project.

Cheers all

Baz

Looking again at the pic's,.............I'm tending to agree it does look like a leyland,..........certainly the under rad guard the albion has, is not present in orig pic,................Certainly got a few of us scratching through our brit softskins books,............. :-)

I hope someone brave comes along to rescue the albion,....................we've lost far too many trucks, as it is.

Cheers for posting pic, and the ensuing debate.

All the best,

Andy

The two look very similar. I wonder if the bridge body's were built to a standard design or by the same manufacturer. Also it is interesting to see the gas detection plates. I can only think of one preserved example that had these. Were they mounted on all British soft skinned vehicles during the war, just some or what? And when were they removed? What colour was the gas detection paint? More of my daft questions, but i am sure that someone will know the answer.

I enjoy these sorts of photographic challenges as it makes me study the photos in much more detail than i would if i was just reading the book.

Tim (too)

The two look very similar. I wonder if the bridge body's were built to a standard design or by the same manufacturer. Also it is interesting to see the gas detection plates. I can only think of one preserved example that had these. Were they mounted on all British soft skinned vehicles during the war, just some or what? And when were they removed? What colour was the gas detection paint? More of my daft questions, but i am sure that someone will know the answer.

I enjoy these sorts of photographic challenges as it makes me study the photos in much more detail than i would if i was just reading the book.

Tim (too)

Tim (too)...............

Gas warning panel.................

'in the early part of the war all vehicles were supposed to carry a gas warning panel, which consisted of a sickly yellow-green coloured paste which turned a different colour if poison gas was present in the atmosphere.

It had to be fitted on a horizontal surface in front of the cab so's to be easily visible. On normal control vehicles it was simply painted on the bonnet, but on forward control types a metal platform was required, fitted just below the windscreen and projecting forward over the radiator.'

(taken from British Military Transport by David E Jane)

In full agreement with your last comment re photo identification. :-)

Andy

I believe that the specification for the gas detector panel was that it should be visible from the driving position which on motorcycles was the headlamp. What I assume to be the gas panel on my (as yet) unrestored 1939 16H is more yellow than most sources suggest.

width=150 height=128http://img159.imageshack.us/img159/9358/payne0518e4c0aze6.th.jpg[/img]

The panel should turn pinkish in the presence of mustard gas (anyone got any I could try ?)

I did try dripping chlorine bleach on it but that had no effect :-)

The top surfaces of many pillar boxes were painted in gas paint as well as a warning to A.R.P. and the public.

Rich

• 11 months later...

I presume this Albion thread is to cover all models although much of the talk i have seen is on the 3 ton 6x4 at the moment, i will take a chance and put these post war photos here if i am wrong someone will probably shout. The first two are the 10 ton three way tipper and the following two are the R.E workshop FV11102

hmvf1.jpg

hmvf2.jpg

hmvf3.jpg