Registering MVs

tyler

Hello Tyler

I don't know, luckily mine were already registered before I got them. But I do wonder how some MV's get registered for the road. I've seen big vehicles registered as a pre 1960 to get around the MOT and HGV liecene even though every bit of info I've seen on them states they weren't made until much later. When I was looking for a Reo they were all "made in" 1959!*

If you ask the DVLA or VOSA for details you just get passed from one person to another as square MV's don't fit onto their round holes.

I'm sure there is lots on here that do know though.

Cheers

Richard

*Yes, I do confess to thinking of buying an American MV. I was young, I was stupid, it will never happen again. :cry:

Of course it is different since I'm in America but when I went to register my Jimmy, they wanted me to take it to a weigh station, get at least a class b license (possibly even a class a) and a whole lot of other things but that was all dropped when I said I want to register it as a historic vehicle. Here in California, USA, when a vehicle is registered as historic, it is automatically considered an automobile no matter how big instead of it being considered a truck. That is just for paperwork though, I will always see my Jimmy as a truck, not a passenger car :roll:.

Hello Nick

I was reading in one of the MV magazines that in some states in America that there were plans to introduce scheme where a Military Vehicle would retain it's Military Reg as it's civilian Reg which makes a-lot of sense, especially ,as here, the MOD do not re-use their numbers. Is this correct and has it been introduced?

In the same article it said they were also thinking of changing the law so Large ex- Military Vehicles could be driven on a standard licence instead of needing a special licence.

Maybe if VOSA introduced a "Large Vehicle Not for the Carriage of Goods" category registering would be a-lot easier for us.

Regards

Richard

The only problem I've had with the GMC is Swansea kept sending tax discs saying disabled even though they kept being told the correct class by my local DVLA office.

And isn't it fun trying to get through to the right person at Swansea.

Mind you, I'm sure when I phoned them once I got "David, the only gay in the village"!

I was trying so hard not to laugh I never did get the problem sorted out. :lol:

Regards

Richard

we took our Bedford up to Worcester & they did everything there & then.

I made an appointment first ( they offered 1 the next day) & a barely out of spots young girl had a look round & said fine , signed the forms & done the deed.

simple

you can go the longer way & have them come out to inspect but it can take up to 6 weeks.( it did at our time of asking).

good luck

berni

Get the forms in advance, fill them in yourself and turn up at the local DVLA office with the following:

Insurance certificate

Filled in form (can't remember the number)

Dating evidence

£38

Money for tax, if required

and hopefully you can walk out with a tax disc a few minutes later, depending on the size of the queue.

Chris