1977 Land Rover Series 3 109 Lwb FFR

Jonny666

i have a website that i made for this vehicle so i will tear the restoration blogg i have off there after the pics!

i purchased this in 2006 at the war and peace show and it looked like this:

width=640 height=480http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r296/lordwyatt666/Reacting/20-07-06_2052.jpg[/img]

after doing some research and spending all of my grant money (student MV owner!) it looks like this:

width=640 height=480http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r296/lordwyatt666/Reacting/IMG_0243.jpg[/img]

width=600 height=800http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r296/lordwyatt666/Reacting/IMG_0234.jpg[/img]

width=600 height=800http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r296/lordwyatt666/Reacting/IMG_0235.jpg[/img]

and heres a pic of it in its glory at the war and peace show:

width=640 height=480http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r296/lordwyatt666/Reacting/war%20and%20peace/IMG_0256.jpg[/img]

its not finished as i in tend to put clansman radios back in they will be hopefully: 2 353 sets, 1 352 set.

thanks for viewing comments are more than welcome!

oh yeah i just reminded myself,

if anyone has any info on how to install 353 sets i would be very thankful if you could tell me where to look or how to do it.

thanks!!

on a side note just to let you know i did all the work on the landy myself as my dad has just had kidney cancer so he couldnt help me

Nice job, camo scheme is used by training units here and BATUS, was used in Cyprus; does look good on a Land Rover

To further 'de -civvy' it you need to put back military headlights and remove headlamp surrounds. See it also has a civvy rear cross member, however thats not so easy to change :-( Deffo a GS not a a CL so a previous owner has messed it up a bit. Notice bulkhead vents have been plated as well.

Please don't take any of this as critisism, I'm a military LR anorak :yawn: just hope it helps your on going restoration. The most common military Land Rover has become a rarity as enthusiasts go for the unusual or supposedly sexy (like a 101 :-D), keep up the good work.

well i am going with the pics i have seen and yes i know about the head lights but the rear crossmember was not done by the previous 2 owners so must have been done in the army?

but having not got the history yet i dont know! i know the camo scheme is used by the 1st RTR so thats one reason i was using it lol.

the vents i dont know when they were done but its not by me or the preivous owner so tey again i have no idea.

It's possible the xmember may have been done by the selling dealer, easier to source and quick fix for MOT. Land Rover were using particularly crap steel around that era (how many M to T reg series vehicles have you seen around?).

The camo scheme is widely used by units on Salisbury Plain, got loads of piccies from Army2002 with everything in that scheme from Chally 2 down to Pinzies and LRs

i have seen a few old series 3 landys about ( i tend to seek out the older than 1980s landys)

but i have seen lots of vehicles in that scheme plus i wanted something alittle different thank all sand, green and black, green or SAS type because i feel that the workhorses never get any limelight only the rare types, 101s and DPV/SAS types

My two penn'orth.

1RTR and Cyprus have both been mentioned. Coincidentally ISTR in May 1976, 15/19H took over from 1RTR as Tidworth Recce Regt. In Sep 1976 our B Sqn took over from A Sqn LG. I am guessing the LG got that tour because of the Arms Plot rotation that year. It is entirely possible that a squadron of LG took over in UNFICYP from a squadron of 1RTR in Mar 76 and that C Sqn 15/19H took over from a sqn of 1RTR in the Cyprus Sovereign Bases (but I have absolutely nothing to back it up, just logic and the ways the Arms Plot worked).

1RTR also deployed a squadron to Hong Kong. Our Arms Plot deployment to HK was cancelled and the HK Recce Sqn was removed from the Arms Plot. We therefore dipped out on a cushy tour of HK.

So 1RTR and Cyprus Sovereign Base is a good colour scheme. Except, thinking about it, the one time we in 15/19H B Sqn UN Ferrets stumbled across C Sqn Ferrets patrolling on opposite sides of the Sovereign Base perimeter, their Ferrets were dirty standard green and black (ours were shiny UN gloss white). So maybe not.

Radios:

My in-camp role was Regimental Signals Storeman for some time. As an Armd Recce Regt, we only had literally a handful of 351/352s on our books and they spent a lot of time on my shelves as our role was as mounted as it could be.

When I left, there were rumours that each CVR(T)'s second 353 would be removed and replaced by a 352, 1. because they rarely needed two 353s transmitting at 16W; 2. it meant that commanders could dismount and recce on foot using the 352; 2. to save money. Either the Zulu callsign would relay his messages on or the section's second vehicle could easily be configured so that its 352 worked the same frequency as the 352 on the ground and rebroadcast it to the entire combat team through it's 353. It was far easier than running out a few Km of Don 10.

We only had half a dozen FFR Landrover's, for the CO and 2IC and 2* OC Medium Recce Squadrons and their 2ICs. I cannot remember their configuration now. I remember three antennae. ISTR One 353 for the respective Command Net and one 321 for the Divisional Guard net in case of nuclear strike and EMP rendering VHF comms unworkable. The CO had a BID. I don't remember OCs Squadrons having BID. They must have had 2* 353: one for the Battlegroup Command net, the other for his own combat team command net.

That said, we were an Armd Recce Regt. It is entirely possible that in other regiments, the radios were configured the way you have planned. But I also STR that at that time 1RTR was also an Armd Recce Regt.

As for how to fit the radios, ISTR each radio came with a mounting kit (which may well have had its own CES but I am open to correction). In possession of a vehicle, a mounting kit and a radio, it ought to be quite straightforward.

HTH (but I doubt it will)

the mounting of the radios is as what i have seen on the shows, but trying to get any info on what radios fit in which network is hard.

although the way funds are i might just get the 1 353 and the 1 352

Is the camo paint scheme you have Deep Bronze Green and sand color or is it NATO Green and the sand color? I am considrering painting the Lightweight I just got to maybe NATO Green and Black. I really don't want to do the inside all over again. The whole rover is DBG now. Thanks for any info. Bil

NATO Green and Sand. All Landies were supplied by the factory in Deep Bronze Green and were then painted by the units that had them in the colours appropriate to where they were serving at the time.

Lots were left in DBG for duties within the UK (Northern Ireland etc) but Green 'n' Sand ones would be painted matt for operational duties in Cyprus(?) - feel free to correct me people!

Is the camo paint scheme you have Deep Bronze Green and sand color or is it NATO Green and the sand color? I am considrering painting the Lightweight I just got to maybe NATO Green and Black. I really don't want to do the inside all over again. The whole rover is DBG now. Thanks for any info. Bill

My memory tells me that we never worried about a cosmetic job of repeainting the green inside of a Landrover. I do STR however that when repainting, we'd drop the tailgate and paint the top (inside).

NATO Green and Sand. All Landies were supplied by the factory in Deep Bronze Green and were then painted by the units that had them in the colours appropriate to where they were serving at the time.

Lots were left in DBG for duties within the UK (Northern Ireland etc) but Green 'n' Sand ones would be painted matt for operational duties in Cyprus(?) - feel free to correct me people!

As I have said before (I think) ISTR seeing Ferrets in Cyprus in Green / Black, but I guess that doesn't tule out LRs being painted in other colours.

I do remember in November 1977 going the the vehicle depot at Moenchenstrapback to collect Saracen ACVs and seeing an HMVer's dream of line upon line of surplus vehicles, including Mark 2 Ferrets in Sand / Green with "BAOR OVERLOAD" stencilled on the side and wondering what that was all about.

Is the camo paint scheme you have Deep Bronze Green and sand color or is it NATO Green and the sand color? I am considrering painting the Lightweight I just got to maybe NATO Green and Black. I really don't want to do the inside all over again. The whole rover is DBG now. Thanks for any info. Bil

no the paint i painted it is NATO green and Nato light stone (sand) in a satin finish due to the place where i got my paint not having any matt paint in stock 2 weeks before the war and peace.

you dont have to re do the inside i left it green (originally it was green and black this landy with the flaky paint you could peel some of the layers back and find the different colours) the back is simply painted out in dulux green gloss because the week before the show, someone had a brill idea of saying to me the back could do with a clean and when i washed it out it looked horrible so i went got some paint and painted it!

but yeah the colour scheme is used in BATUS, cyprus and it was used in afghanistan i have a pic showing 2 series 3's and a 101 in the same colour scheme but in matt finish.

but thanks to the "sun" at the war and peace and the rain its begun to fade alittle and is starting to look alot more operational colours.

on a side note i am really bored of seeing landys in green and black or all sand, some people need to look at the other camos the army has used since the landy has been in service!!

my rant is over lol

no your right, hence why when the landys get disposed of with 700 layers of paint on that when you strip em down you find half a ton of paint on your driveway lol

although in NI they are normally marked out green and black from what i have seen, and the sand and green ones are cyprus.