Stewart & Stevenson FMTV M1079 and M1082 trailer insight

robin craig

Recently I was involved in the hand over and delivery of an M1079 FMTV and a matched M1082 trailer from the USA to Canada.

The vehicle was sourced from Eastern Surplus in Philadelphia and prepared by them to the owners specs and wishes. It was my task to drive down and drive it back.

I have dealt with Eastern Surplus over the support of some M series trucks over the years. Always good dealings.

It was strange to arrive in the US of A on voting day, a very surreal experience that was amazing to watch unfold, but I digress.

The paperwork was well prepared and the next morning I went to the local franchise DOT office and secured 30 day "tags" ie plates for the truck and trailer for the return trip. A very easy process and all nice and legal.

I then spent a few hours going over the truck receiving instruction and explanation and advice from the staff at Eastern Surplus, after all, I am getting into a truck that I don't know and is supposed to be in a mechanically fit state for me to hurtle down the road in, something I don't take lightly.

By the time I got going it was mid afternoon and pouring rain, a great way to start a journey in a big humpity bumpy army truck in a major urban area on fast moving Interstate roads.

The truck bimbles along quite nicely and has quite a surge of power and speed. The fact that the lighting had been upgraded to LED units filled me with comfort that I could be seen well.

As with any new vehicle, I stopped often and made checks and the frequency of them diminished as I got more confident and understood what the fuel gauge reading meant as far as real levels in the tank, always a learning curve.

After a long haul up through Pennsylvania on the turnpike with the joys of the tolls I reached Clarkes Summit which is at the start of I 81 by 7pm that night and called it a night.

The next morning saw a cooler day, but dry and sunny. I did an extensive pre-drive check of fluids and drips and wheels and tires and pins and lanyards and such. I fueled up and headed out on the road by 8 am and joined I 81 heading north.

At one point I could have been mistaken that I was heading the wrong way by looking at the road sign but I knew better.

At the US border post I went through the Export Control process and then headed the few metres over to the Canadian side. The importation took minutes as we had engaged a broker to handle the import for our own reasons. I took longer walking from the truck to the Customs building and back than I spent inside, worth every penny IMHO on this one.

A few more road miles and I was back in town and parked the truck and trailer up where it will undergo a safety next week to conform to Ontario standards.

A delightfully undramatic trip, just the way I like it, monotonous and no hiccups.

My impression is that it is a relatively pleasant ride compared to the older legacy M series 2 1/2 ton or 5 tons and the push button Allison transmission is so common these days and seems to work happily. The trailer was not a burden, and it was almost as if it wasn't there.

I look forward to becoming familiar with yet another vehicle that I have been privileged to drive and operate.

As yet the most modern British truck of this size I have driven is the Bedford MJ series and have not driven the DAF trucks.

Thought I would share the experience.

Disclaimer:- "I am in no way related to Eastern Surplus nor paid by them"

fmtv 01.jpg

fmtv 02.jpg

fmtv 03.jpg

fmtv 04.jpg

Hi Robin,

thanks for sharing that. Interesting from a number of points, exporting/importing, the need to familiarise properly with a 'new' vehicle and to monitor regularly in your journey and finally mention if a truck that doesn't get discussed much. These come up for sale as ex-surplus in Europe e.g. Through Iron Planet auctions, but I have never thought much about them.

cheers,

julian

Frankly I would say that the electrics on them situated on the passenger dash side are a far change from simple Beford stuff I am accustomed to. The truck has a mixed 12 volt and 24 volt set of systems and there are noriceable clicks as relays open and close to make things happen.

It will take a while to draw some long term conclusions. I suspect that the electrics will be an issue just because. The Central Tire Inflation System is interesting but overly complex and in 90% of the time not needed with better driver skills but who am I to argue. I just think as things progress the more complex vehicles become and this is a sign of that.

The FMTV family of trucks has undergone some upgrades and improvements as any wagon does in service, user comfort and safety trigger that. This one isn't being kept stock, the paint is the first sign of that, I think cab insulation and sound proofing may follow if upper echelons have to drive it far.

I have driven and operated vehicles both wheeled and tracked from a number of countries and a number of suppliers and it pays to check things carefully, my life isnt worth loosing over loose wheel nuts from lack of torque or something stupid like that.

There is a winch variant which would be nice but the 6 X 6 wagons are long. Each to their own, I would day worth a punt in Europe if the price is right. For us it is a left hooker so that makes life easier. One of these in the UK would be a bit of a pain.