Jeep landing at Southampton

Spencer54

Just wondering what my options are.

fairly new to this game and need my Jeep taken from Southampton to Kent when it clears customs.

Whats my best bet with this, just rent a trailer and head off, get a delivery company involved, or any MV owners fancy earning a few quid to get it to me?

Any ideas or suggestions appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Your call - depends what you feel happy doing, and how it fits with your budget, work etc.

Hiring a trailer is probably cheapest on your wallet (though perhaps not by much once you've counted hire charges, fuel, time and so on), and an adventure, but it'll take a day or two of your time, so you'd have to consider what else you'd be doing.

If you're not in the habit of towing large trailers, you need to be reasonably comfortable you're happy doing so and understand the basics of loading, towing and so on.

Most car trailers you hire these days should come kitted out with the ratchet straps / tie downs etc. that you'll need.

Getting someone to move it is easy; you just get some bids, make a call and wait for it to turn up, but you obviously pay for that convenience and it might take the fun and involvement out of it. You'd be able to find someone to transport it through sites like this, on eBay or similar, by phoning round companies locally or by using sites such as Shiply and Anyvan.

I'd guess many carriers might not want to get involved in any procedures at the docks, as well, so you may end up having to go down there to meet them anyway.

Will you be expected, or need to, inspect the vehicle after it's released and before it leaves the docks? That would also mean you'll have to go down there anyway.

As for getting an MV owner to help you out, I'll leave that to others...

the jeep is not heavy but you should still have a substantial-ish vehicle to tow it with, ideally something with a bit of weight a big estate or a 4x4 etc..not essential but will help...if you have the legal right to tow a trailer, remember if your new to your licence than you are likely to be limited to 750kg trailers.

delivery in my opinion is always the easiest but it is no longer cheap unless you can wait for an empty return load...that can take time and and southampton is unlikely to have trucks going there without a return load, but its possible...

a jeep will easily go on a 3,5 ton truck, pickup, its only 1.2 tons tops so unlikely to need anything that big...