Saracen, did you know?

trophy160

When I was at the Headcorn show the other week, a number of ex servicemen came up to me to talk about their experience in Saracens. One of them asked if I had problems with vapour locks, given my experience with my Mk6 before I converted it back to RFC it was an interesting question. He went on to say that they fitted auxiliary electric fuel pumps down near the tank (as I did, although now that it is back to RFC I don't seem to get the issues I had before with regard fuel supply to the carb).

Another chap confirmed to me that they did have Clansman fitted in the Saracens they used (can't remember where he had served), this is the first time I have heard of Clansman being fitted to Saracens.

Mine was retired from British service, in Hong Kong, in about '92. There is no evidence of it ever being fitted with Clansman.

I've never had a vapour lock either, even in 40+ degree Australian heat, but I do have an auxiliary electric fuel pump fitted, which I only run to prime the fuel line before starting (all it really does is reduce the amount of cranking needed to get fuel up). The rest of the time, the mechanical pump is fine.

Cheers,

Terry.

Here's a photo of mine that had a rebuild in '88

It appears to have clansman fitted at that rebuild.

As yet i don't have the vehicles full history, but i will.

and i will take more pics of the clansman boxes fitted elsewhere in the vehicle.

harness works all round, and in the turret.

sarry 1.jpg

I hope this may shed some light ?