Alvis Reunion with photos.

Diana and Jackie

what a great article.

sadly all over Coventry I see the old factory sites, now housing in this case the morrisons/B&q I think.

standard-triumph housing a massive sainsburys.

maudslay a large area of housing.

jaguar a housing estate with a very close industrial estate.

what a tremendous waste of hands on engineering skills.

I was at school around the corner from the Alvis during the early 80's. While I don't consciously remember seeing CVRTs coming out of the factory gates I do wonder if subconsciously something was planted back then. I was also fortunate enough to pick some spares up from Martin O'Neill (something of a legend in his own lunchtime at the Alvis) at the old Baginton test site a few months back. When the site was sold he managed to persuade the powers that be to let him keep hold of one of the old sheds to house his own vehicles. Turns out it was the old winch test shed where Samsons, stollies etc were connected to a big static testing rig. Some really fascinating stories. At Baginton most of the old buildings, including the aero engine test beds, are still very much in existence. The old test track is also still there, but now private property and not accessible, so can't take the Sally for a run round unfortunately!

Attached pics are from a previous article in the Evening Telegraph. It is good fun trying to spot what the parts are in the bins in the machine shop pic! First two are Holyhead Road, last two are Baginton...

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg