austin champ

R-williams

hi there cleaned the bonnet down and I found these numbers the chassis numbers are 1305 and you said that is 13be05 can you tell me what the numbers are on the bonnet please I also showing you some picture of the engine can you tell me what one it is the engine number is b40 No.1 mk5a 50527 and any other information on it I will be very appreciated thanks Richard.

DSC00361.jpg

WP_20160229_16_01_55_Pro.jpg

WP_20160229_16_12_25_Pro.jpg

WP_20160229_16_12_32_Pro.jpg

DSC00711.jpg

WP_20160229_15_02_48_Pro.jpg

The cast numbers that you find on the cylinder block etc are simply casting design numbers and foundry marks to give tracability in case of production problems. The data plate tells you that the engine is a Rolls Royce designed (but in this case made under license by Austin as were 15000, the vast majority, of Champ engines), 'B' series, 4 cylinder, 3.5" bore, Petrol burning, with manifolds/sump/electrics, etc to fit a Champ. The actual engine number is 50527 which I suspect means that this is the 527th Mk5 produced by Austin - can someone confirm this?

I have no idea of the long number under the bonnet.

You seem to have found a very nice original one. It looks quite sound. The first place they rust is the lower body sides, then the rest seems to just crumble away. I had one 42 years ago that looked worse than yours when I got it. I never could get the brakes to work very well, the master cylinder is particularly badly placed. It is critical that the hubs are kept filled with oil as the tracta joints dont work very well in a mix of water and dirt.

Mine was a delight to drive, vastly better than a new landrover of that time, reasionably quick and always did 16 mpg with quite enthusiastic driving. Have fun.

David

Edited by David Herbert

Richard the number should have read WNR this is a work shop reference number it is seen a lot on the under side of

CHAMP bonnets . A question for you on the engine bay bulk head is there a brass plate screwed to it on the passenger side

about 5 inches long 4 inches deep this if there will show the chassis number army registration number and any workshop

number and dates of work done it is unlikely the engine is the one it left the factory with as to l would be interested as to how it is known this champ served with the royal artillery ? as l have never seen much history on champs on any record

cards ie the champ records

ok thanks the brass plates have been taken of I haven got them the only numbers I have got is the chassis one I think. I had this off the chassis drivers side were the bumper goes and the number is 1305 I was told that the army reg is 13 be 05 I hope I can get these numbers right I have stopped work on the jeep just in case I cant get any numbers on it thanks for the reply's any more info will be grate Richard.

• 4 weeks later...
ok thanks the brass plates have been taken of I haven got them the only numbers I have got is the chassis one I think. I had this off the chassis drivers side were the bumper goes and the number is 1305 I was told that the army reg is 13 be 05 I hope I can get these numbers right I have stopped work on the jeep just in case I cant get any numbers on it thanks for the reply's any more info will be grate Richard.

If the number 1305 is stamped on the chassis member then your Champ is almost certainly NOT 13 BE 05. Here's why:

The chassis' were numbered by the manufacturer (sometimes called the "Dumb Iron" number) when they were built and supplied to Austin for vehicle assembly, but this number was never used by Austin or the army to identify the vehicle.

On the assembly track the vehicle was allocated a vehicle number prefixed by WN1 (for the army contract spec vehicles) e.g. WN1 - 1234. The vehicle registration number contained the numerical part so in this example the registration would then be 12 BE 34.

Simply because parts were manufactured and vehicles built around the same time, there is a VERY loose correlation between the number of the chassis taken off the pile at the factory and the vehicle number they gave it but they are NOT the same! Without the VIN plates from the scuttle it is not possible to positively identify the vehicle unless someone has recorded it somewhere. The best you can say is that it is an early production cargo version possibly from early 1953.

Someone started to compile a file of chassis to vehicle numbers a few years ago.

However you do know the engine number and 50527 suggests it was originally fitted in a Champ around vehicle No. 3000 but it may well have been swapped between vehicles over the last 60-odd years of course. The Austin Champ Owners Club may be able to help from their records of the original build cards.

And it’s not a Jeep, it’s a Champ!

Edited by 58 BE 88