Triumph 3HW Engine/Gearbox Oil, Primary Chain Case Gasket, Crankcase Relief Valve etc

Andy3HW

Hi all,

Thought I might get a few questions asked at the same time.....

I understand that the oil for the gearbox and the engine is of the same type. What would be the modern equivalent to use. Also what would be suitable to use for the primary chain/clutch?

I have a gasket set for the 3HW, however there was no primary chain case outer cover gasket included. Is it something that you just make yourself or is it readily available?

After removing the crankcase pressure relief valve body to clean up, I found I could move the inner valve component back and forward with an air line. Should there be a return spring installed?

Last but not least....I have noticed that in some images I have seen on the web, the sprung seat on these bikes are fitted with a canvas cover. Does anyone know if these are commercially available?

Thanks guys

Andy

What oil to use debates can go on for ever. But I use Morris's mono-grade SAE 40 in all my engines and often a thicker grade (50 in the gearbox. I buy at the jumbles where there are always traders selling it for £14-£16 per 5 litres. (Some gearbox's use semi fluid grease but not Triumph)

I don't know of a commercially available chain case gasket (it's different from the ally ones)

It's a long time since I've touched a breather valve, but I'm sure it's just a flap disc with no spring.

I have canvas covers on my 3HW but it's purely 'Artistic Licence' I'm sure I've seen a war time image of a canvas cover fitted to a bike. But the canvas covered saddles that were produced by 'WRIGHTS' were actually a gun layers seat in an armoured vehicle. I guess some enterprising sole thought it a good idea to fit one to save getting a burnt bum out in the desert heat. Ron

3HW 243.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
What oil to use debates can go on for ever. But I use Morris's mono-grade SAE 40 in all my engines and often a thicker grade (50 in the gearbox. I buy at the jumbles where there are always traders selling it for £14-£16 per 5 litres. (Some gearbox's use semi fluid grease but not Triumph)

I don't know of a commercially available chain case gasket (it's different from the ally ones)

It's a long time since I've touched a breather valve, but I'm sure it's just a flap disc with no spring.

I have canvas covers on my 3HW but it's purely 'Artistic Licence' I'm sure I've seen a war time image of a canvas cover fitted to a bike. But the canvas covered saddles that were produced by 'WRIGHTS' were actually a gun layers seat in an armoured vehicle. I guess some enterprising sole thought it a good idea to fit one to save getting a burnt bum out in the desert heat. Ron

Thanks for the info Ron. I take it then that there is no gasket used on the primary chain cover. What oil do you use for the clutch?

Thanks Andy

Yes there is a cork gasket fitted which is different from the ally case gasket. Brian Tillin did make some, not sure if he has any now. You could try him on 07786861697. He's pretty good with Triumph singles. Ron