New GMC in the family.....:)

Jack

yes i think your probably right there jack....I am sure abn will have the answer for us...However thats another job that needs doing to free it up so it opens again....Better put the kettle on jack and get anne to bake some nice choclate cakes as ill be over soon....Plus i am bringing your mother in law over....lol..xxxx

The partition is to limit the load placed in the dump bed when used as a dump truck as the dump body frame does not extend the entire length of the body. IE when you look above the gas tank or the spare tire you will see the hoist frame end's at the hinge of the partition. If you heat the hinge and work some penetrating oil into it it should come free. there may still be a handle /latch at the cab end of the partition in the middle cant recall if that turns or not take a peek when you raise the bed .

Also you will see a slide bolt at each end of the panel on the bottom side or the cab side when raised . If the troop seats are in place you will need to raise the second leg so the panel will come up vertically then the slide bolts will move outward into matching holes in the sides of the dump .

To see this in action check out the issue #121 June 2007 of Military Vehicles Magazine on page 36 middle left or page 38 top.

One other thing about the design of the dump body was that in service the rack side's were to be removed so that when the partition was raised and material was placed in the body like loose soil or similar it could only be piled so high at which point the angle or slope would then limit its amount by falling off the truck . this was a way to limit the max load being carried. The CCKW wasn't a real Dump truck not heavy enough frame or dump body, it was a multi-role vehicle cargo,troop carrier and dump truck.

The partition is to limit the load placed in the dump bed when used as a dump truck as the dump body frame does not extend the entire length of the body. IE when you look above the gas tank or the spare tire you will see the hoist frame end's at the hinge of the partition. If you heat the hinge and work some penetrating oil into it it should come free. there may still be a handle /latch at the cab end of the partition in the middle cant recall if that turns or not take a peek when you raise the bed .

Also you will see a slide bolt at each end of the panel on the bottom side or the cab side when raised . If the troop seats are in place you will need to raise the second leg so the panel will come up vertically then the slide bolts will move outward into matching holes in the sides of the dump .

Thanks abn now i know what that hatch is for...I also found a picture of a jimmy tipper with the hatch open in the same way that you explained...Thanks for your help abn

Heres the picture i found with the hatch open so as not to let the load past the lifting gear

width=600 height=409http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa281/Lawson67/gmc-bruil.jpg[/img]

Yes Exactly!! well done... as for comment about unloading troops I use that line when I m doing parades and when things are stopped I ll run up the dump bed a bit , they see a Jimmie with full canvas and figure its just a regular cargo truck then the body moves and they get a suprise :-) :-D

Thanks for the pics abn ...Looks good mate....Now i will have to sort my hatch soon so it opens....the one in that picture i posted looks like its still working hard even today....goes to show what a great truck we have and that with care they will go on and on...even if you wanted to work it as this guy does......Its also nice to see another hard cab dump truck as well as you do not see many of them...

Good point , makes it so easy to "drop " your buddies off after a night doing the Pub crawl !Just need to make sure the tail gate is down then they wont have anything to delay their departure :whistle: :-D ;-)

:rofl: