Fox CVR(W) Restoration

vor

Me likes a lot.That would be the next step up for me from the Ferret.Me and my brother have Lee to thank for our purchase of our Ferret.He let us climb all over his Mk1 a couple of years back at gunpowder mills.And a wealth of advice he gave as well.Now only if we could have got on board the Fox.We probably would have had one of those as well.lol

One year plus a thousand hours = one fox. next time I will get all the " volunteers" to put their names down in writing, so I don't end up doing it all by my self again.

Stan.

I wonder when was the last time I saw one of those turrets?

Oh hang on. It would be Saturday afternoon. I fell for it again. Taking nipper around the Tank Museum.

"That's a Scimitar. Like a Scorpion but it's got a point-and-click cannon instead of a real gun. Next to it a Fox with an erect float screen. And a pre-production Scorpion with spoked roadwheels. There's something wrong with that Scimitar though. It's got a 03FD number plate. The 03FDs were all allocated to Scorpions. Why should that be?"

"Well Dad, according to this display board, it's a Sabre, converted from a Scorpion by fitting a Fox turret."

In mitigation, they revised all the bins in the 1990s and this turret was well concealed behind said bins, but sure enough, the turret was lifted a couple of inches from the hull by the mating plate to allow a Fox turret to fit a Scorpion ring.

I last fell for that one in 1995 when I saw a 02FD plate on a BBC report from the Balkans, identified it as a Scorpion from the plate, then was surprised to see the camera looking down the barrel of a Rarden instead of a 76. But as a Scimitar it looked like it had been held prisoner by headshrinkers. Then a TA colleague explained the Sabre mod to all the Scorpions.

Nice job. Well done.

• 3 weeks later...