Paint protection

flywheel

Hi there,

just a quick question about protecting a matt paint finish on vehicles. Is it safe to coat the surface of the paint with a light oil or something like wd 40 to help repel water and grime. I know that this will probably take away some of the matt effect, but any of your advice would be appreciated.

Many thanks. Mark

Back in the day we used to spruce up our trucks by wiping them down with either kero or diesel on a handful of cotton waste. This would probably cause a few H&S palpitations these days but it did no harm to the paint at least so WD 40 would be a decent substitute I guess.

Mark oil etc will help repel water, but might encourage grime. Bear in mind when you come to repaint it the adhesion may not be too good. I don't know what era of vehicle you have but if the matt paint is representing IRR paint, it might look inappropriate to have a vehicle has now got the IRR properties significantly modified ie looks shiny when it is meant to be matt.

I have always used Red Diesel on all my military vehicles, cheap and repels water well. I do my Jeep once a year at the start of the season and it lasts through the summer no problem. Wipe it on with a rag and it soon dries leaving a nice protective sheen.