Militant Mk 1 6x6 GS

ArtistsRifles

As I have just had to sell my beloved OT-90 due to household bills and lack of work I am looking for a new project. Right now I am considering this:

AEC%20Militant%20Mk%201%206x6_zpsl2fxqqdp.jpg

12835008_10208391235036667_1183615479_n_zpso3lax4vb.jpg

12167969_10208391234876663_350164868_n_zpscq2jthnd.jpg

12833342_10208389631196572_624076017_n_zps2jpfqsla.jpg

Seller thinks it dates from 1958 or 1959 - given the chassis number of 0860/1120 can any of the Militant experts on the forum confirm this? For some reason the Mil Reg is unreadable on the photo of the plate.

According to the seller she starts, runs and stops OK - both brake wise and engine. What is needed, they say, is TLC of the exterior and cab to get back into presentable condition.

Also - it will need bows and canvas. How hard is it to source these nowadays??

I'm ringing the seller tomorrow with a list of questions. Asking price is £3000 and the quote to bring it back to Essex from Hereford is £675 Does the asking price seem fair?

Edited by ArtistsRifles
spelling errors

Neil do you know the a127 just past Basildon there are a few farm /builders vehicles for sale in a field near Dunton he had a Millitant that the council told him to move off the field as its not agricultural it did pop up as an old post with a link to a Moriss Commercial he also had for sale He wasnt in when I went to see the Morris but his mate said the Millitant was in a dry barn still

Neil do you know the a127 just past Basildon there are a few farm /builders vehicles for sale in a field near Dunton he had a Millitant that the council told him to move off the field as its not agricultural it did pop up as an old post with a link to a Moriss Commercial he also had for sale He wasnt in when I went to see the Morris but his mate said the Millitant was in a dry barn still

Yes - I remember seeing this one. I used to work at Fords R&D centre at Dunton and used to drive home past this - there was the Militant, some Hagglund Bv206's - and something else as I recall. All painted yellow?? The Militant had a Hiab on the back which made me think it was a post-1960 build.

I seem to recall the Dunton security guards saying what you did about the council and that as a result they all went to the scrapper......

Neil,

I believe that the Militants with Atlas cranes were all conversions of existing vehicles and were not selected based on chassis number or build date but availability and condition. As a result they tended to be later ones but not exclusively.

I am sure that you are aware that early vehicles had slightly more ornate cabs - check out the gutter over the doors and the window frames. Also the early ones didn't have the box on the mudguard for the indicator and sidelight but had traficators instead which were subsequently removed and indicators fitted to the side of the cab low down at the front. I am satisfied that these early ones are pre 1960 but am not sure how many of the later style ones are, if any.

Sorry to hear about the OT90 but at least you have had some fun with it.

David

Thanks David. Looks like this might be a later one then. It has the box on the mudguard and one of the guys on the AEC Society group on Facebook said his 1964 one was chassis number 1425. Makes this one 305 units earlier.

No idea what AEC's annual output was but surely it was more than 76 a year??

front%20wing_zpszhyhd0ul.jpg

cab%20roof_zpsbpyul30n.jpg

It must be possible to find out when that contract no. was issued and how many vehicles it was for. The operators handbooks have a list of order numbers that they refer to but not how many vehicles each order is. That info would help to give you an idea though. The AEC society may be able to help too - might even have something on their website. The cab changes will probably start with the start of a new order but which one ? I believe that some Militant Is were LHD for BAOR but don't know if they were from a separate order or were lumped in with RHD ones.

I expect that Wally will be able to find something.

David

Thanks again David :)

Had a browse through the AEC Societys web site - unfortunately there is nothing there to help ID this one.

Chap on FB came back with the following: Chassis no's 1425 to 1468 were built between 7/9/64 and 7/11/64

So for 3 months production was 43 units - that equates to roughly 21 units per month

Between Chassis no's 1120 and 1145 is 305 - divide that by 21 = 15 months (rounded up).therefore if 1435 left the factory on 7/9.64 6hrn 1120 left 15 months earlier in May or June of 1963 assuming production ran on a continuous basis.

Or - put another way - SH*T its too young!! :( :(

Edited by ArtistsRifles

I found the link on the RLC Archives page that lets a contract number be searched - this is the result:

RLC%20Archive%20search%20by%20contract%20results%20for%20WV1015_zpsd0lwsnsz.png

Contract was placed 5th April 1963 so for me this one looks like a non starter due to licensing restrictions.

Interesting to see the purchase price though - £6,350.00 per vehicle for 100 vehicles

I take it this one is still available, even though the fleebay advert has been taken off

Possibly so. Some one else had expressed an interest in it - to the point of getting a quote for having it transported back to Essex.

Do you want to add another to your growing collection of knockers?? :) :)