Hill 60 - Ypres

Some shots of hill 60, this is the most impressive cwgc cemetery since there are no headstones there. So many men (germans and allies) were buried in tunnels or simple disappeared in the fighting they deceided that it was a cemetery in itself.

1. Memorial for the tunnelers who died in their tunnels and still remain there. The bulletholes were made by German soldiers in the 1940s.

2. The cratered landscape of Hill 60

3. Memorial at the remains of a bunker

4. Bunker at Hill 60 (first german but taken and used by the allies)

1. Cratered landscape

2. Gigantic crater

3. Memorial for the Queen Victoria Rifles which was originally erected in 1923 but blown by the Germans in the 1940. The stones you see are part of the orignal memorial.

4. Original Queen Victoria Rifles memorial.

More on the fighting of Hill 60:

http://www.hellfire-corner.demon.co.uk/hill60.htm

Nicely done. I still haven't managed to get to Hill 60. Mad. But the Salient has so much, I will get their eventually. At one time there was a museum and a cafe. All since gone. When you read the old guides it is sad to see how many things have disappeared. At some point I'll start posting more pix from Flanders and the Somme, etc on this site. It is easy to get caught up in the Normandy thing because it is so huge but there is another world beyond it. Watch this space....

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Joris, I will be out at Ieper at the end of the Month.We are doing a Rememberance march for the 90th Anniversary of Paschendale. My dodge WC51 will be in support. We will be based at the emd of the N19. I can let you know exataly if you wish.

• 2 weeks later...

Joris, I could write you a book on it.

For me it started with a phone call from Steve Mcguire. 'Can you get time off in about three weeks to support a remembrance march to commemerate the First Day of the Battle of the Somme? A group organised by Andrew Robertshaw, now director of the RLC museum, were marching along the front line. They wanted period vehicles for support. First World War vehicles are rare and not necessarily reliable. So after discussions Dodges got the job.

Well you got to try. I went to my Boss, promised I would be good for the rest of the year, and bring him back a bottle of Brandy, that plus the fact I threatened to burst into tears if he said no, persuaded him. So mass panic and the Dodge was packed ready to go. We spent a week out there my Dodge covered about 800 miles on and off road. I am keen photographer as well, so a lot of pictures. I did do an article published in the US Power Wagon Forum. I know you would like articles, I'm willing to do one, but as you know it takes a while to do a proper piece. How do a I submint a piece?

• 2 weeks later...

Umm :redfaced: It may take a while, me and the redoutable Canadian Scotissh beer drinking team are off this weekend to Ieper. At this rate the ferry will be door to door. One little snippet Norfolk line have got very definite on no fuel in Jerrycans, owing to an incident earlier in the week. Camera is charged and ready plenty of memory and a lap top to take up the slack. I will get something to you the week after next when we get back. if its anything like last year you will be shouting shut up , ban him and no more pictures! May the Pink be with you. :whistle:

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Twelve months ago, Jill and I went to Hill 60. Yesterday we went to the movies and watched an Australian movie called "Beneath Hill 60". Two hours went quite fast. A very good movie with the inevitable love story entwined. Thebattle sceenes and rain were pretty realistic I recon. Not sure about the truck they used. We'll have to get Tim to watch it and see what it was.

The story was based on the 1st Australian Tunneling Co. who were brought to Hill 60 to finish the job. 1,000,000lbs of explosives were blown up on 7th June 1917 in 21 mines and the sound and tremours were heard in London and Dublin.

Rick.