Queens Regiment Northern Ireland 1980's

ChrisPWRR

Hi all, as ex PWRR I thought at W & P it would be fitting to wear Queens Regiment Beret etc, I have 1968 Patt Trousers and Smock on the way to me I still have an old flak jacket from guard duty too.

Helmet is what I want to know about, when did they change from mk 5 to mk 6? when they did what patt combats where they all wearing?

Any help greatly appreciated

Chris

DPM 1968 pattern was worn up to the change to 80 pattern, which was early 80's. Although 68 pattern was very much prefered due to being lined and thicker.

The helmets, well Turtle helmet was worn again up to the 80's then the newer style battle bowler as we know it started to come through.

Regiments only wore helmets when commanded to.

Alot of pictures show a mix of 80 and 68 pattern DPM.

The turtle helmet was worn is most riot situations up to the 1980's from what i can see.

So if your looking 1970-80 you have the right stuff my friend.

But the newer helmets are different to the first issue as well as the covers are now 95/2000 pattern not 80 pattern.

Hope this helps, should have just called me my friend:)

Again 58 pattern webbing was worn, with a mix of the US alice as well, again worn to the plce change over mid 80's.

Worn in CEFO and CEMO depending the situation, alot just wore ammo and water bottle and poss haversack depening on the situations (riot etc_)

DPM 1968 pattern was worn up to the change to 80 pattern, which was early 80's. Although 68 pattern was very much prefered due to being lined and thicker.

The helmets, well Turtle helmet was worn again up to the 80's then the newer style battle bowler as we know it started to come through.

Regiments only wore helmets when commanded to.

Alot of pictures show a mix of 80 and 68 pattern DPM.

The turtle helmet was worn is most riot situations up to the 1980's from what i can see.

So if your looking 1970-80 you have the right stuff my friend.

But the newer helmets are different to the first issue as well as the covers are now 95/2000 pattern not 80 pattern.

Hope this helps, should have just called me my friend:)

Again 58 pattern webbing was worn, with a mix of the US alice as well, again worn to the plce change over mid 80's.

Worn in CEFO and CEMO depending the situation, alot just wore ammo and water bottle and poss haversack depening on the situations (riot etc_)

I am confused by your DPM dates. If 68 was the first original DPM pattern combats, the second was 75 pattern, which I was issued twice in 1975, once in January for my abortive 3 months in RMP then again when I re-enlisted in the cavalry in September.

The 75 brought in full length lining and a simple collar.

The next (fairly significant) change was in 85.

It took most of the lining back out, had velcro cuffs instead of buttons to catch on cam nets and had an intriguing extra little blister pocket on the (gets up and walks to the coat rack to check his 85 pattern combat jacket) right sleeve. All the pockets bar the pen pocket on the left sleeve are blister pockets. The tail was also removed.

There were, it seems, subtle changes in 94 including the use of rip-stop material and (ISTR) velcro instead of a zip fastener, then a complete revise in 95.

I might have to stand corrected! But i was in the right ballpark.

So 1970-80 would be fine in DPM 68

75 would be the same cut as 68? just with the newer pattern camo?

Pretty much. There were differences in the collar and the lining and that was about it that I can remember. It was only the stitching in the 68 pattern collar that ever caught my eye. I'd have to say that there probably weren't too many examples of 68 pattern still in the field (particular in an Infantry battalion) by 1980. By the time I joined my regiment in 76, the majority of combat jackets I clocked were 75 pattern. Being on ops in NI, it was easier to get new kit than usual. That said, the Queens will have done their own NI tours and cycled their combats as necessary too.

Although the 85 pattern came out in 85 (surprise!!!), the 75 pattern was, I think more popular with the troops. I still had two examples of a 75 pattern (along with two times 85 pattern) when I left in 89. There ought still to be a 75 pattern at the back of my wife's wardrobe.

So. Beginning of the 80s, the 75 pattern is the only realistic choice. After 85, either 75 or 85 pattern. By the end of the 80s, the 85 pattern would be most authentic.

As for the cam pattern, I once knew a guy whose mother worked in a factory producing the DPM material. He reckoned the pattern changed several times per year, but if it was subtly different, it was never noticeable.

• 2 weeks later...

Many of us cherised our 68 patt jackets, I was still wearing one in about 1990!!

With the ritual b-ll-cking for looking 'different', trying to be an 'individual, and setting a p-ss poor example as an NCO.. oohps sorry sir rupert :whistle:

Still got 2 and one's brand spankers,...........

Its all mine, and it'll cost a shed of oatmealies :evil: :evil:

Hardyferret :-D :banana: :banana:

• 1 year later...

Resurrecting an old thread.

1 Queens late 80s early 90s.

By late '80's alot of mix with DPM which was used in the field. As said earlier the lined combats had become a cherished item and the old sweats tried to keep hold of these especially for guard duties, 'Jungle' dpm trousers also in use by some of the more solvent amongst the troops again in the field.

As for patterns of DPM, we had plenty, I had a pair which had been made from a horrible material, lighter then other DPM and like a pair of drainpipes, but would hold a lovely crease, especially with some additives!

• 1 year later...
Hi all, as ex PWRR I thought at W & P it would be fitting to wear Queens Regiment Beret etc, I have 1968 Patt Trousers and Smock on the way to me I still have an old flak jacket from guard duty too.

Helmet is what I want to know about, when did they change from mk 5 to mk 6? when they did what patt combats where they all wearing?

Any help greatly appreciated

Chris

Done any more about the Queen's kit?