Clark CA-1 Airborne dozers - How many in the UK?

jonesy

IWM has two airportable, not too sure what models they are.

One has gone to London, and the other is going in the American Air Museum at Duxford.

Neither are in working order.

Last time I was in workshops at Duxford, early last year, they were restoring one for a customer (maybe another museum, not sure!) And was told they had one other to do maybe keeping for themselves!

Also a mate dragged one over to Arnhem last September for a one off foto shoot.

It was a race with a Dutch guy to see who would finish and get one there first!

He had a mountain of probes getting it there, borrowing a trailer and Landy to tow it. Trailer sheared axle at Dutch port, took a day to find parts and get roadworthy again!

I bumped into him just before foto shoot, but he couldn't get it running right. Everyone just standing and taking pics while he struggled. I was in full airborne kit, but still whipped out the Leatherman and stripped carb. Did this couple times, and got running well enough to get to location.

It's based on the only known footage of a Clark Airportable at Arnhem from a German film.

We mapped the location to a corner of a junction, which had a modern block of flats on it!

We got the dozer, jeep and trailer set up as per film footage and took our pics.

The guy in the flats wasn't impressed with the lawn afterwards tho!!!😬😬

I wouldn't mind if someone has any access to those pics as my camera was knackered and lost his details!!

Both the airportables were restored by my fellow members of the Duxford Aviation Society's Military Vehicle Wing on behalf of the IWM. The second has just been finished and last time I saw it, it was in the conservation hanger waiting to be placed in the American Air Museum.

IWM has two airportable, not too sure what models they are.

One has gone to London, and the other is going in the American Air Museum at Duxford.

Neither are in working order.

I thought they were both runners? Certainly the first engine fired up (the one now in London) and I thought the second was going to be an operating exhibit?

Engine ran, but John White told me the gearbox was knackered, also the tracks are well past it. I don't think the hydraulics work on it either.

A spare engine was acquired for the two Clark CA-1's at Duxford as both I understand where seized/damaged, unless a policy change the museum does not as a matter of course run exhibits unlike DAS who have vehicles of their own outside LWH

A spare engine was acquired for the two Clark CA-1's at Duxford as both I understand where seized/damaged, unless a policy change the museum does not as a matter of course run exhibits unlike DAS who have vehicles of their own outside LWH

Please excuse my ignorance .....

DAS = Duxford Aviation Society [?]

LWH = ?

Sorry people but, as you are talking about Duxford, does anyone know if they are holding their Military vehicle day this year.

Rumour has it there maybe a show in 2017 shame as Duxford always was and hopefully will be again a nice friendly show in the future, maybe the committee member of the Vehicle Wing Duxford Aviation Society who posted on her previously can let those of us who are interested know the answer I believe they still have an events officer who's function it is to coordinate a vehicle show at Duxford - possibly this could be a new thread