Mk2/5 Ferret.

DFC1943Fl.Lt.

Hi all, hope everyone had a great Xmas. My question is how easy/simple would it be to install a brake servo into my Mk2/5 ferret. I have looked in to it and seems possible but not sure as to the right way to go about it. I have a bit of room at the rear L/H side of the oil cooler to try and fix a mounting bracket, but then the master cylinder is in the front foot well. Will this mean having to get a brake pipe from the servo to the master cylinder and also replacing the inlet manifold for the servo to connect to. Is it worth all the hassle. I know trying to stop 3tons at speed would take a strong right leg on the exiting brake set up, but I don't think I shall be pushing the old girl to that extreme when up and running. Just that I have a servo that came with the ferret.

Many thanks in advance

Steve.

P.S. Hope to see some of the Suffolk members at Adrian Barrell's this Saturday at 2pm. Thank you Adrian for the invite.

If the braking system is 100% then it may not be worth the bother.

100% = shoes all good, cylinders working properly, brake fluid has been changed in last 3 years, all drums are unscored and flexible hoses are in good condition, the master cylinder seals are good and the brakes are properly adjusted.

My own Ferret will stop dead and has no servo.

Diana

Hi all, hope everyone had a great Xmas. My question is how easy/simple would it be to install a brake servo into my Mk2/5 ferret. I have looked in to it and seems possible but not sure as to the right way to go about it. I have a bit of room at the rear L/H side of the oil cooler to try and fix a mounting bracket, but then the master cylinder is in the front foot well. Will this mean having to get a brake pipe from the servo to the master cylinder and also replacing the inlet manifold for the servo to connect to. Is it worth all the hassle. I know trying to stop 3tons at speed would take a strong right leg on the exiting brake set up, but I don't think I shall be pushing the old girl to that extreme when up and running. Just that I have a servo that came with the ferret.

Many thanks in advance

Steve.

P.S. Hope to see some of the Suffolk members at Adrian Barrell's this Saturday at 2pm. Thank you Adrian for the invite.

If the braking system is 100% then it may not be worth the bother.

100% = shoes all good, cylinders working properly, brake fluid has been changed in last 3 years, all drums are unscored and flexible hoses are in good condition, the master cylinder seals are good and the brakes are properly adjusted.

My own Ferret will stop dead and has no servo.

Diana

Thanks for the info Diana, Will defo make sure all is up to scratch with regards to the brakes. I got to make a list up for Mr Banister to sort. Have to get it on the road for the beginning of April as a pretty eccentric old lady who want's to have a ride in it down our local high street waving a union jack. Should turn quite a few heads if it comes off. lol.

Regards Steve.

I tend to agree with Diana and Jackie, what is so lacking in your vehicle as manufactured?

I don't like altering things for the sake of altering them.

Honestly developing a higher standard of driving and you will brake less because you are anticipating other peoples actions better. Spare yourself the time wasting of spinning spanners for nothing and leave the machine well alone.

Has there been a rash of Ferret accidents because of poor brakes?

Where will this stop? Will you be wearing a full face crash helmet and fitting inertia reel seat belts next?

I am troubled very deeply where that kind of thinking takes people and we see only too often in various classifieds "original @#$^& for sale, fitted with upgraded engine, brakes, new hard top and rock sliders" and now they wonder why people don't buy it, because it isnt original!

Your vehicle will loose value in my books the more you muck it about in a way that can not be put back to original.

Now that I have had my rant and said what I feel I can honestly say I bear you no malice or ill fate, just sharing my opinion, in my usual blunt way.

Robin

I tend to agree with Diana and Jackie, what is so lacking in your vehicle as manufactured?

I don't like altering things for the sake of altering them.

Honestly developing a higher standard of driving and you will brake less because you are anticipating other peoples actions better. Spare yourself the time wasting of spinning spanners for nothing and leave the machine well alone.

Has there been a rash of Ferret accidents because of poor brakes?

Where will this stop? Will you be wearing a full face crash helmet and fitting inertia reel seat belts next?

I am troubled very deeply where that kind of thinking takes people and we see only too often in various classifieds "original @#$^& for sale, fitted with upgraded engine, brakes, new hard top and rock sliders" and now they wonder why people don't buy it, because it isnt original!

Your vehicle will loose value in my books the more you muck it about in a way that can not be put back to original.

Now that I have had my rant and said what I feel I can honestly say I bear you no malice or ill fate, just sharing my opinion, in my usual blunt way.

Robin

Well I must say its a good job I don't get offended easily LoL. While I agree with your argument, I am thinking more of the safety issue as there is no need for an MOT and it is down to the owner/driver to make sure the vehicle is up to a safe standard for the road, granted, you should drive sensibly but there are the lunatics around who have no regards for other road users and from personal experience having to brake hard to avoid an accident helps with bloody good brakes. Now driving a 3ton ferret is a bit different from a 1 to 1.1/2 car. The fact that these were built for rough terrain mainly and not road use and also back then there weren't the volume of traffic around to contend with. Also the latter versions have disc brakes and servo so they must have had a rethink with regards to the braking capability of these ferrets. As for the value aspect, that does not really worry me because I bought the ferret because I wanted one and not to invest money in it. If when I decide to sell it has made money that will be a bonus. Having said all this, I agree with Diana that when I overhaul the braking system and see how it brakes, if in my opinion I feel safe enough I will leave well alone, if not the servo will be fitted.

Thanks for your reply

Kind regards Steve.

Hi Steve,

I worked on Ferrets when they were in service and occasionally servo fitted versions came in to Workshops. According to EMER's, only the Mk2/6 mounted with Vigilant missiles, and Mk2/7 (a Mk2/6 with Vigilant gear removed) was fitted with a servo (apart from Mk4 of course). I have a feeling some of the up-armoured Ferrets could have been equipped with servos during a base overhaul as I never worked on a Vigilant version. So, it was the extra weight as to why the servo was fitted. To be honest I noticed little difference in stopping distance between those fitted with a servo and those without. It will not improve the brakes, same size linings and wheel cylinders, just reduces effort required from driver.

I will say, that you have to run a pipe from master cylinder across under the gearbox, up to the servo, which is mounted above the generator. It has long hoses so it can be removed for access, without breaking in to the brake lines. This pipe is about 8+ feet long as I recall, having changed one for a private owner, and as he did not want the gearbox removed to do it, it was a tricky job ensuring the pipe was safely located. There is a lot of changes required in the pipework I think and it could mean a bit of stripping to access. Another issue, the servo you have, is it the correct one for a Mk2? Reason I say is because a Mk4 uses mineral oil as fluid and a Mk2 has synthetic brake fluid, seals will not be compatible if used with wrong fluid. Normally any brake components designed for mineral oil, have a bright green tag or paint mark on them.

regards, Richard

Hi Richard and thanks for your reply. Makes sense and as for the servo, it came with the ferret from Vince on the forum 'Aka' grasshopper. Just that he did say it may pay to put it on as it's there. But being an old school mechanic brought up on plugs and points in vehicles I did think it may be a bit of a job. As said it has been up armoured so weight has increased but if this is not an issue with the exiting brake set up then all's well. Just me being on the causes side, been a while since I last drove one, must be well over 30 years now when in the Royal Signals TA based at B.S.E.

Regards Steve.

Dear Steve,

maybe there was an interaction between my meds and too much Christmas cheer, thanks for taking my rant so well and not sending a mini nuke my way

Robin

Hi Robin, hope you saw in the new year with family and enjoyed yourself. No problem with your so called rant, sometimes it's good to get stuff off your chest when you don't agree with something. I agree with you the way some totally strip their Vehicle of it's history and try to make something straight off the showroom floor. With my ferret, the only thing I intend to do is just get the thing up and running, as making sure road safe, and give it a new coat of paint to bring it back to the old DBG. As for the inside, I like to think that it is as it was when it came out of service. I shall have to repair the drivers seat but as for all the rest i.e. internal bins, dash etc that will be left as it came to me 'service used'. While I like seeing some of the restorations on the forum, doing the complete strip down and paint job is not my cup of tea.

All the best Steve.