MUTT M151 A2 - imported from Vietnam

danskeates

Hi,

I've just returned back to Essex having spent the last 18 months riding a motorbike around the world. Whilst passing through Vietnam I brought a MUTT. It arrived in Felixstowe a month ago and it's been with a mechanic for the last month. It's in very good condition (even though it was used in The Vietnam War), having been restored around 10 years ago and resprayed only 6 months ago. I'm not a mechanic and it has a few problems. My mechanic tells me it needs a new distributor - where can I buy one? I have an auto electrician doing some work, it needs a new sealed 24 volt headlight and 24 volt horns, any ideas where I can get there? My main problem is the MOT, my mechanic tells me I need to get seat belts installed, the brake lights changed so they don't flash but stay on constantly, a blue light on the dash to inform me when 'main beam' is on... Any advice would really be appreciated as I'm not sure what really does need doing as I have had people telling me as it's a 1968 vehicle I don't need to get these things done for the MOT. Without the MOT I can't get it registered.

Thanks in advance,

Dan

Hi Dan,

I have an M151A2 too. You can buy most parts in the Germany, but it is sometimes cheaper to get them from the US and pay postage and duty. I have bought a few bits from the guys over at the G838 forum (http://www.g838.org/index.php) and quite a lot of bits from the US ebay site.

I fitted electronic ignition to mine, with new spark plugs and leads. You won't need the seat belts, and nobody have ever questioned the lighting on mine. I fitted some Land Rover halogen headlamp units with 24V bulbs. Look on ebay, there are loads on there. You have a main beam light on the dash, it is one of the lights in the instrument panel, but it is red.. again nobody has ever questioned mine.

Are you sure it is a '68? I ask because the A2 was not introduced until 1970. There is usually a metal tag on the horn with a date on it, providing it is original it should give an idea of the build date.

Chris

Hi Dan,

I have an M151A2 too. You can buy most parts in the Germany, but it is sometimes cheaper to get them from the US and pay postage and duty. I have bought a few bits from the guys over at the G838 forum (http://www.g838.org/index.php) and quite a lot of bits from the US ebay site.

I fitted electronic ignition to mine, with new spark plugs and leads. You won't need the seat belts, and nobody have ever questioned the lighting on mine. I fitted some Land Rover halogen headlamp units with 24V bulbs. Look on ebay, there are loads on there. You have a main beam light on the dash, it is one of the lights in the instrument panel, but it is red.. again nobody has ever questioned mine.

Are you sure it is a '68? I ask because the A2 was not introduced until 1970. There is usually a metal tag on the horn with a date on it, providing it is original it should give an idea of the build date.

Chris

Thanks Chris, How can I prove to the MOT station I'm using that seat belts are not required? They say I need them...

Dan