432 electrics

Adrian169045

Hi all

I went to slave start my 432 2/1 today the same as every other time the bats are low . I put the slave lead on as per usual and started her up no dramas . I then noticed the lights dim and the amp gauge go to full . I tried to turn it off with no luck . Hit emergency stop and she stopped . What I did hear is the starter still running hence the high amp reading .

I put some fresh batteries in and turned the master on and everything was normal then went to start it and the starter stayed on again .same thing Killed the motor and started to have a look

found the earth lead to the main isolator box melted and cut

the lead that travels form main isolator box to dis box had one lead burnt to a crisp.

I also found that if I bridge the slave leads she will crank over with the master on

I don't know where to start as I have no electrical diagrams

Any help would be great

Cheers

Adrian

Edited by Adrian169045

You most definitely need a wring diagram and if possible circuit description. It would seem that the starter is permanently energised, which is why, in all likelihood the the main wiring has burnt out. Disconnect the starter main wiring and then, after replacing all the burnt out wiring and charging the batteries see if everything is normal.

It is usual to have a wire from a starter button/starter switch that energises a solenoid, either remote from the starter or built into the starter itself, that appears to be either permanently energised OR its contacts are short circuit.

Be aware that the main power cables to the starter are normally, when the main isolator switch is on, at full battery voltage and hence current, with no fuse. A short circuit here may even cause the batteries to explode, apart from cooking the wiring as you have discovered.

Diana

Hi all

I went to slave start my 432 2/1 today the same as every other time the bats are low . I put the slave lead on as per usual and started her up no dramas . I then noticed the lights dim and the amp gauge go to full . I tried to turn it off with no luck . Hit emergency stop and she stopped . What I did hear is the starter still running hence the high amp reading .

I put some fresh batteries in and turned the master on and everything was normal then went to start it and the starter stayed on again .same thing Killed the motor and started to have a look

found the earth lead to the main isolator box melted and cut

the lead that travels form main isolator box to dis box had one lead burnt to a crisp.

I also found that if I bridge the slave leads she will crank over with the master on

I don't know where to start as I have no electrical diagrams

Any help would be great

Cheers

Adrian

Edited by Diana and Jackie

That sounds as though the starter solenoid or starter relay are stuck in the "on" position, especially if it starts without the engine or start switches being pressed. If it's the starter solenoid then it's a pack out job, but check what's happening at DLB 21A as you may be lucky and find it's the starter relay.

Starter Circuit.jpg

Andy

That sounds as though the starter solenoid or starter relay are stuck in the "on" position, especially if it starts without the engine or start switches being pressed. If it's the starter solenoid then it's a pack out job, but check what's happening at DLB 21A as you may be lucky and find it's the starter relay.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]108879[/ATTACH]

Andy

thanks for that

it only stays on once the start button is pressed .

I am going to pull the dlb today and have a look

ok so I took out the dlb and found 12b wire inside burn out and the 12b wire in the group that runs from dlb to the isolator.

other than that nothing else I could see was wrong .any ideas ?

cheers

Check that the starter relay (in the DLB lid) switches on and off with the starter switch. If it does then the fault must be in the starter itself.

Here's the DLB circuit - 12B is the main negative line from the Distribution Panel.

DLB5.jpg

Andy

Edited by andym
Circuit Diagram added