British 10 cwt trailer ?

guy66

Hello, collected this trailer in France yesterday and I am looking for some information on this model.

Is a British war time trailer ? one thing is sure it came from the Belgian army and the construction is very close to a British trailer .

Didn't find a chassis number are identification plate on the trailer and the tires are 7.50x16.

Guy

IMG_1851.jpg

IMG_1848.jpg

IMG_1849.jpg

IMG_1850.jpg

Hello, collected this trailer in France yesterday and I am looking for some information on this model.

Is a British war time trailer ? one thing is sure it came from the Belgian army and the construction is very close to a British trailer .

Didn't find a chassis number are identification plate on the trailer and the tires are 7.50x16.

Guy

[ATTACH=CONFIG]108872[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]108873[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]108874[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]108875[/ATTACH]

Hi Guy really nice condition trailer you got yourself there, very similar to the British wartime but a few differences.

The body looks the same as my Ammunition / mortar trailer but without the front flap & square wheel arch's.

Early MK1 towhitch ? are they 5 stud wheels ? I have some leg clamps if you need some.

I expect somebody with more knowledge will be along soon.

Regards Ian

It looks like an early 10cwt/mortar trailer chassis but with the drop board on the rear as seen in one or two examples in the 10cwt trailer thread. Like my mortar trailer originally had it has the early round barrelled hitch and lifting handles welded to the chassis and a continuous wooden strake around the top of the sides. There appear to be no holes where any mudguard brackets should be fitted to the middle two side uprights and definitely non-standard side stand brackets. As Ian said it should have 6 stud wheels as these are certainly not original. Most interesting, it probably has been b******'d about with in it's Belgian army service but it is certainly a good basis for restoration.

Are there any manufactures plates?

Did myself a bit of research on this trailer today and I personally think it is a Belgian early post war mortar trailer but very match based on British design. Post war Belgian army had a lot of kit that resembles the British kit but then locally made.

Guy

That is interesting Guy. I had not heard about immediate post-war built trailers in Belgium.

I'd always guessed that with so much spare kit around, the Belgium army would have used ex-British trailers.

Close examination of your photos shows some subtle differences from the usual British "standard" design.

Apart from those highlit by Anthony,:

1. the leg clamps on the rear quarters and on the main front chassis are all slightly different to the "usual" British cast clamps;

2. The rope cleats bolted through he side planking are of a different design

3. The handbrake actuator is also different from the norm.

I was wondering why they had reverted to the earlier "barrel" style drawpin box. British trailers moved to the one-piece cast design with integral side arms by mid-WWII. I can only think that the welded barrel was far easier to manufacture in post-war conditions and did not require the complex special casting.

A very interesting trailer that adds another piece to the jigsaw of the history of this underrated group of MVs.

Guy, you are right. The Belgian firm Levacq manufactured these trailers in the 1950s, clearly patterned on the British 10-cwt.

There also was a larger 1-ton version which had a heavier drawbar as shown in the picture; and a body measuring approx. 215x130 cm.

AW980122_Levacq-054.JPG

Edited by mcspool
Added info