Ferret steering is reversed...help!

njjeeper

Hi all. So the previous owner of my Ferret rebuilt the steering gear and I am afraid something is wrong. When I turn the steering wheel to the left, the front wheels turn right. Turn the steering wheel to the right, the front wheel go left. I have looked at everything and I cant seem to understand why it would be like this. I would think driving would be terribly difficult if the truck goes the opposite direction of the steering wheel. Could something be assembled wrong in the steering gear? Any help would be much appreciated.

There's only one way I could see that happening, item 4 in the first drawing being reversed. The second drawing shows item 4 in more detail and it does look like it is symmetric enough to be installed either way. What a bummer.

Malcolm

Steering gear1.JPG

Steering gear.JPG

Hi all. So the previous owner of my Ferret rebuilt the steering gear and I am afraid something is wrong. When I turn the steering wheel to the left, the front wheels turn right. Turn the steering wheel to the right, the front wheel go left. I have looked at everything and I cant seem to understand why it would be like this. I would think driving would be terribly difficult if the truck goes the opposite direction of the steering wheel. Could something be assembled wrong in the steering gear? Any help would be much appreciated.

I hesitate to ask this, but have you ever driven a Ferret before? Reason I ask is I have seem first-timers get in one and grasp the wheel with their hands the wrong way. As you look at it if the top of the steering wheel if it is turned left, then the vehicle steers left.

No worries Richard, I had the same fear. That I was doing it wrong. But in this ferret, if the top of the sheel is turned left, the vehicles goes right. Is it really possible that the steering gear was installed backwards??

OK, then what has happened is the guy has assembled the horizontal cross shaft assembly the wrong way round. This is the part at bottom of steering column. It needs to be completely removed. There is a recirculating balls arrangement within it and he has assembled it wrong meaning the bevel gear on the cross shaft is engaged on the wrong side, thus reversing movement. Would be challenging to drive for sure.

No worries Richard, I had the same fear. That I was doing it wrong. But in this ferret, if the top of the sheel is turned left, the vehicles goes right. Is it really possible that the steering gear was installed backwards??

OK, then what has happened is the guy has assembled the horizontal cross shaft assembly the wrong way round. This is the part at bottom of steering column. It needs to be completely removed. There is a recirculating balls arrangement within it and he has assembled it wrong meaning the bevel gear on the cross shaft is engaged on the wrong side, thus reversing movement. Would be challenging to drive for sure.

Edit;

Just noticed Malcolm's post :blush:, he had already mentioned that. At least I ascertained it was not driver error, would have been annoying to strip and find it was OK

Before you fix it though, you need to take the ferret, a video camera, a few of your mates and some beer to a large open field and challenge them all to drive it around a track. Post the results on Youtube :D

Just like the "impossible to ride" pushbike[1], except that they can't fall off. :D

Chris

[1] Geared steering so it works opposite to what you expect, just like that Ferret. (It is apparently possible to ride the bike by crossing your arms, so it might be possible to steer the Ferret by gripping the bottom of the wheel instead of the top... you may wish to invest in heavy-duty worry beads and serious prayer before trying it, though.)

Edited by Chris Suslowicz
Punk tuition error (wrong bracket)

Mystery solved. I guess the previous builder missed this section of the manual :(

Capture.JPG

FYI as an additional piece of info to help anyone in the future. The word GEAR is embossed in big letters on the recirculating housing. That's the side the bevel gear on the recirculating ball needs to go. It's the RH side of the housing.

Edited by njjeeper

I was going to blame the designer for designing a critical part that can be installed the wrong way round without it being obvious. But then it occurred to me that that steering design may be used on multiple types of vehicles, some with the tie rods acting on the front side of the knuckles like the Ferret and some on the rear side, which would allow just flipping that part to reverse the steering action, as you found.

No consolation to you, of course. :-(

Malcolm

I suspect that with a bit of practice you could learn to drive it as it is. It would be a really effective way to stop anyone stealing it but would make for an interesting court apearence if you did have an accident. I am sure that others have got this wrong before.

David