Dumb jeep question

midcentury

Hi, can anyone tell me what thread the knurled nuts are that fix on to the windshield inner frame slide mech. ..the ones you slacken off to open your MB/GPW screen and then tighten up to keep it open ...I am guessing UNC , as it seems course , but thread and size would be great ..Thank you

I think they are 5/16 UNC 18 TPI from memory

Pete

As an aside, UNC and UNF did not exist at that time. American threads were specified as NC or NF but always with the pitch listed, i.e 1/4-28NF. When threads were unified in the 1950's, nearly all of the 'standard' pitches were used but there are some gotchas.

1" NF was 14tpi, when threads were unified, they picked 12tpi. There are a lot of 1" fine screws and bolts in a Sherman but none of them are UNF!

As an aside, UNC and UNF did not exist at that time. American threads were specified as NC or NF but always with the pitch listed, i.e 1/4-28NF. When threads were unified in the 1950's, nearly all of the 'standard' pitches were used but there are some gotchas.

1" NF was 14tpi, when threads were unified, they picked 12tpi. There are a lot of 1" fine screws and bolts in a Sherman but none of them are UNF!

Yep that was the case Adrian,

I think the US changed the nomenclature in 1949 from ANC ANF to UNC UNF, for most common sizes the only practical difference being for some specific sizes the the male/female thread tolerance was altered slightly but the pitch and tpi in the main remained unchanged.

Pete