Sherman sponson plate details

Shermania84

Having built up a nice stash of 1/35 Sherman models a somewhat important question is looking to be answered: at which point in production did the small circular covers start appearing on the rear part of the sponson plate, same for the weld beads running perpendicular to the vertical hull plate indicating what appears to be a two-part sponson plate?

Just to be clear, I trust that by "sponson plate" you mean the horisontal plate that runs the full length of the hull directly above the track, between the upper hull side and lower hull side.

If so they all have a round cover plate about 3" (maybe less) diameter to provide access to the fuel tank drain. I am not aware of any variants that don't have them, certainly Grants and Rams do too.

As for the question of the plate being made in two pieces. I have not seen this but some factories might well have done as it was not too critical. The join would have needed to be under the engine / fighting compartment bulkhead for strength.

David