Members Vehicle Websites??

Jessie The Jeep

Does anyone here have a comprehensive website about their vehicle and its restoration, rather than just a few pics posted in a restoration thread?

I recall the GMC Clubmobile had quite a large thread here, but wondered if anyone has gone into more depth in their personal webspaces.

Steve

Hi Steve,

What sort of website are you thinking of building as there are plenty of web site servers on the market? I tried a few before going with Tripod: This was due to the fact that their site builder was idiot proof - If I can do it anyone can...

Your best bet would be to get a free site and see how you get on. Then, when you are confident you can progress to a pay site. I started with a pay site and it took months to build and publish, even though I was still paying for it. Free sites give you plenty of GIGs for picture upload and text.

The site I built was solely for pictures and not much text. Once you have the ground work done you just keep adding. Most web servers have virus scanners built in so you can't post anything that may harm others computers. Try to keep your site family friendly and its alway nice to add a guest book where folk can leave their messages, comments and suggestions about your site. I find the feedback really useful and any nasty messages can be easily dealt with. You will always get one or two chumps that think it is funny to put offensive words on your guest book.

These are just a few things to look out for when building a website. Don't let this put you off as its great fun and you do get great satisfaction out of it. It can take a while to get your head around but go for it. The hours are long, the foot work can be a bit laborious and the pay is crap but worth it in the end.

All the best with your build and don't forget to place a link on here when you are up and running.

Tony

http://plain-military.tripod.com :tup: :tup:

P.S. Neither myself, family or friends work for Tripod!

What I was specifically looking for, are members sites that cover in detail their particular vehicle from first found to its current condition. Most of us I would think have loads of photos of our vehicles in various states, but I'd like to see any sites that have compiled everything into one location, showing how work progressed, modifications, repairs, manufacturing replacement parts etc.

I already run several private and commercial sites covering a range of subjects, but on an MV theme, I have my own Jeep site; 'Jessie the Jeep', and also run the NE and Yorkshire MVT sites. The styles on these four sites are quite similar, making editing easier and also because there are also some shared features between the sites.

MVT(NE),

YMVT,

Wheels & Wings.

All of my sites were originally hosted on free sites until they recently outgrew the free space. They were all moved to one location because cross linking pages spread over different hosts was getting complicated to manage. My jeep site is currently around 26MB, with the MVT(NE) at 75MB and YMVT at 64MB.

I use MS Frontpage for most of the writing, but add hand written edits and Java script where needed. I'm no expert in writing websites, just learning as I go!

Steve