bedford mw gearbox oil

MartinN

The original handbook says 130 sae. like most people i have been using 90 sae. What are the drawbacks if i go back to the original thicker oil. i have 140 sae i was going to use that.

Hi Martin,

Have never come across SAE130 gear oil nor reference to it. The original specification for Bedford gearboxes was a straight SAE140 gear oil, post war I think it was changed to a SAE50 engine oil and I recollect that being used right through to the Bedford MK/MJ. Reason fro this is the viscosity of 50 engine oil is on a par with 90 gear oil. You should not be using a 90EP or Hypoid gear oil as there are bronze bushing and selectors in the box. (There is a variant of 90EP which is yellow metal friendly, but if you are not sure, then best to keep clear of it).

Many of the early Bedford gearboxes do not have oil seals in them, just return scrolls and I err on the side of using 140 as it is less prone to leaking past the scrolls.

Will see you this week if you want to talk more about it.

regards, Richard