Interesting 100gal airborne water bowser

Hi Paul,

i've a copy of this photo for a few years, but as the person who gave it to me asked that I never passed it on ...never have.

But as it is here I feel I can comment.

As you say it is marked as being in Normandy, but I've always thought the huts in background looked more like an established British forces camp. Still, it is the only period photo of the 100 gallon water bowser in use and has lots of interesting details.

There seemed to be a lot of troops in the photo, soi've wondered if it is a photo of a training exercise on how to treat the water using the bowser filtration system and chlorine tablets and then see the "Horrocks" test conducted (using the white China cups) to ensure the water is potable. You can see the large square tin that contained the fine clay Kieselguhr powder that was used to coat the "gills" in the Stella or Meta filters.

p.s. Hope you got my second pm. As has promised another first refusal on bowser, am giving them a final chance to complete before offering it.

Gents- this photo is tagged as 195 Airborne ambulance at Normandy. I have serious doubts about that due to terrain and (mostly) uniform anomalies including what appears to be cotton shirts and white webbing. I suspect it is postwar maybe Palestine. Any ideas or anyone recognize the building in the background?

the picture does offer up a lot of details of questions I had such as convoy plate location which indeed matches holes in my trailer and the larger then 1" straps for holding the suction hose in place.

Paul

[ATTACH=CONFIG]107338[/ATTACH]

If the photo is tagged "At Normandy" it may mean Normandy between Guildford and Aldershot.

That could mean a training excercise based out of the RAMC barracks at Ash Vale if it was in place at that time.

I did a Water Duties course at Ash in 1979 and that involved setting up a supply point and test gear with water tanks and bowsers.

One piece of the test gear I can remember was the Lovibond Comparator.