Ward La France v Diamond T....??

Jack

Seeing as we are being slightly out numbered here by the global expansion of WLF owners :whistle: I have a question for you guys....

Was the WLF introduced because the DT couldn't proform its job - did the war effort need a heavier wrecker? Was the WLF over kill?

Cheers

Jack.

They were complimentary vehicles. Basic difference is that the DT is on a 4-ton chassis, whereas the WLF is a 6-tonner. Ok, those designations don't mean an awful lot outside the military but the point is they are different sized vehicles. The DT was a medium wrecker, the WLF a heavy wrecker.

DT has 2 booms of 5 tons capacity each which can be used linked together or separately. They are powered in luff and hook raise/lower but not in slew, WLF M1A1 has a single boom of 7 tonnes capacity which is full-powered. This means the DT may be more versatile as a wrecker while the Ward is more like a crane.

DT has a larger engine so obviously its power/weight ratio is much better being lighter as well. This is why most of them retained their petrol engines while the WLFs were commonly dieselised. Being heavier, the WLF is a better tow vehicle and it also has a 21-ton rear winch which the DT lacks. They both have front self-recovery winches.

That's all I can come up with off the top of my feeble nut. There's probably more to come if you're not bored yet...

Just remembered I have a reference pic showing the two cranes intertwined :hug:!

The crane on the Autocar is the W45 taken from a DT. Clearly it's mounted higher here but you can see it has a less substantial frame, boom and jack arrangement and far less reach.

Hi Jack.

Must admit not really sure on your question - after all - there's only one American WWII wrecker to own - and me an knobbly knees own one each!!! :-D

Seriously though, I would be interested if any members have thoughts on this - or Mikes knees for that matter.

And as for Mike's signature. :banana:

Markheliops

WLF's were made to make Jimmy owners feel small and insignificant. :embarassed: Diamond T's are for aspiring Ward owners. Jimmys are merely "my first truck". Any more questions?

I must say that really is fighting talk.......are we meeting up at Bolero :evil:

..are we meeting up at Bolero :evil:

Sadly I can't go as I'd already booked that weekend for going camping with my non-MV friends. I'm going to show them what proper camping involves. Apparently they all have tiny comedy two-man ridge tents; I'll have a 110 Land Rover with a 9x9 attached to the rear and double airbed etc. Luxury!

Do you want me to give Grasshopper a slap for you? :box: (I don't mind :whistle:)

By the way Jack, if you want to join the exclusive UKWLFOC I know where there's another diesel one available not too far from here :evil:

Not to sure about the members of UKWLFOC :whistle: but details of the GMC wannabee truck would be appreciated!

I believe this WLF is still up for sale in the NE Area.

wrecker.jpg

More Pics Here

This 1944 Wrecker has had a great deal of restoration work carried out including the rear body rebuilt. The powered crane is fully operational, and the Garwood front and rear winches all work. New search lights and light up siren also fitted. All Jacks/Stays are complete.

The Wrecker is powered by a Leyland Diesel and also features Power Steering. The equipment trailer is also included in the sale.

Contact Cliff Payne on 01642 243351 or 07802 964679 for full details

I'm afraid he's asking way too much for that one but there's a story attached as to why :whistle:

The one I mentioned I advertised on here a couple of months ago; it's still available and has just made it onto Milweb too. It's had a Daf diesel fitted to the original 'box. It's had lots of civvy mods so it'll never be an original truck but it's very usable and practical as is. Think of it as 'product improved', eg. steel chequer-plate rear floor, twin-circuit air brakes, diesel engine etc. The front brake work needed is very minor and could be done in a couple of hours by someone not a million miles away if the price was right (beer). Other than that it does need a coat of green as it's not a very pretty shade at the mo. I've got a lot of the bits needed to return it to soft top and the correct seating config. It's in Camberley, Surrey.

• 1 year later...

I will take my closed cab Diamond T any day over an open cab:-D. I own a 1942 Diamond T 969A, serial numer 969A-0878. I looked into buying a 1944 Ward and was surprised at the differnace in room between the 2 cabs, with te Ward being "tighter". Anyway the Ward needed a clutch and the front winch was non-operable, nothing that could not be fixed however the Ward would not fit into my shop.

one plus for the Ward, well make that 2, is; its shear size:shocked: an it has a higher top speed than the Dimaond T

just my 2 cents

John Gott

• 7 years later...

All;

Just found this old thead, I see the last post was made by me 8 years ago:wow:

Further thoughts on this subject. My first truck was a Chevy G7112. I then acquired a 969A, then a series 2 and then a series 5.

The Diamond T Hercules engine and the WLF Continental engine are very close to horsepower and torque ratings. With the Diamond T weighing about 5 tons less then a WLF, it is a more peppy.

Having discussions with friends over the years, we all came to the same conclusion that the WLF is underpowered, We can only assume that Continental engine corporation was the only manufacture that was able to supply enough engines to WLF, as Hercules was probably maxed out on capacity. I would have thought the Hercules HXDE as found in the Brockway 666 would have been a more appropriate engine.

I agree with Mike that the 969A is suitable as wrecker with the Holmes setup and the WLF as a crane, however, the Ward can flat tow very heavy objects. As an example, I have posted on this forum in the past, pictures of Jeff Jensen's WLF flat towing a 132,000 pound load (Steam boat on a trailer). The truck was rated to tow 50,000 pounds, as aside, Jeff has used his 969 A (rated for a 25,000 pound tow) for the same tasks, albeit, with a heavy ballast load in the bed.

I enjoy operating the Diamond T and the Ward, 2 different trucks setup to do 2 different jobs, although, sometimes they each did jobs that other was designed to do.

John G

Edited by 42 chevy

• 2 weeks later...
WLF's were made to make Jimmy owners feel small and insignificant. :embarassed: Diamond T's are for aspiring Ward owners. Jimmys are merely "my first truck". Any more questions?

ah but each to their own, hmmm where would a WLF owner put 2 1/5 tons of jerry can full of fuel used to keep their thirsty engines running !!!! oh yes they need a jimmy, like the red bull express hmmm didnt see many WLF's in there...

Nice work as I say each to their own :D:D