Mystery Weapon for Clive..

Clive seems pretty hot when it comes to things with rocket motors attached to them so lets see if he knows what sort of weapon this is :whistle:

If anyone else knows what it is keep it to yourself for a bit or send me a PM.. & no tipping him off my lot.. knowing Clive he'll probably get it first go anyway :roll:

Picture019-6.jpg

Picture020-8.jpg

Picture021-4.jpg

Picture022-7.jpg

Picture023-4.jpg

Edited by Marmite!!

If that's a Five-Oh ranging gun, the thing must be rather bigger than it looks. And given that the Five-Oh's ballistic signature is similar to the 120mm APDS round out of a Chieftain, there must be one helluva recoil out of that weapon to get it up to (hmmm erm ISTR about 3200 m/s) in that short distance.

And the service HE round on the groundsheet ... is it me or is the green a slightly off shade of the Olive with Gold Yellow band used to indicate an HE round?

Or am I just naturally suspicious?

Looks like an Action Man weapon. It has more than a destinct look of light blue touch paper and stand VERY well back about it. What a shame it doesn't come with the 50 cal ranging gun. But I'd pity the PBI who'd have to carry the tripod.

Oh, hang on, I just realised, prat that I am, that the Five-Oh apparently mounted over the top is a trick of the camera angle in one particular picture and it isn't really a coaxial RG.

Forget that bit.

:nut: :rofl:

Ok looks like no one knows what it is so I'll spill the beans... it's an Anti-Tank Mine :-D

Arges Anti-Tank Mine

Arges (Automatic Rocket Guardian with Election Sensor) from the family of weapons known as ACEATM (Aimed Controlled Effect Anti-Tank Mine). The system is initiated by an acoustic sensor and a target selection system, while firing is initiated by a passive infrared detection system and laser, ‘a non-lethal anti-handling device would switch the weapon off if disturbed’. UK firms continue to co-operate with European firms on the production or development of anti-vehicle mines: the ARGES, produced in a consortium including Hunting Engineering;

Arges is an off-route anti-tank mine, developed by an international consortium to meet the needs of the British, French and German armed forces. The system consists of a rocket and launch tube, a tripod and a sensor package.

The sensor package has an acoustic sensor that detects the approach of a suitable target and activates the passive infrared and laser sensors which trigger the launch of the rocket when the target passes in front of it.

The rocket uses a modified version of the motor from the LAW 80 anti-tank rocket, and has a tandem HEAT warhead, enabling it to penetrate the side armour of all main battle tanks, including those protected with Reactive armour. The rocket has a range of between two and ninety meters, with the hit probability at ninety meters being 97%.

The mine is highly programmable with an active window of between three hours and forty days, to choose a specific target in a convoy, as well as the ability to be re-programmed. The system can also be command initiated.

Specifications

• Weight: 18 to 22 kg quoted.
    Length: 1.02 m
    Height: from 230 mm to 700 mm
    Range: 2 to 97 m
    Traverse: -45 degrees to + 45 degrees