how do you value WW2 armour?

greyhound32122

hello every one

i have been reading the thread about the churchill's and seeing some members were saying british armour is not worth as much as american or german. being a military vehicle novice and one day would like to get into WW2 armour what sort of prices does the WW2 armour command?

obviously i am not asking owners what they have paid for their armour but what sort of regions would i be expecting to look at say for example an A34 Comet or an M10 tank destroyer restored or derelict?

i have been looking on milweb but sellers don't seem to show prices so have no idea were i would be starting price wise.

any advice or thoughts are greatly appreciated.

regards sam

I paid £3500 for the Churchill which was not far off the scrap price, the down side is it's in need of a little tlc.

basically the wrecks are quite cheap and the restored vehicles not, you can get a ww2 british tank wreck for under £10k but try not to bankrupt yourself while restoring it.

rick

I blame hollywood, if you watch all the crap they made it was like everyone just sat around and waited to be liberated by US troops. Saw an article yesterday that something like only 13% of people in Europe knew the Russians even fought in WW2, despite bearing the brunt of the fighting and dying.

On the flip side though, Bristish AFV's being so undervalued just means they're a great investment at this time. Some day anything from WW2 will be worth a lot

You can easily spend a lot of money on a wreck that is not a viable resto if you're not realistic, so if it's a parts donor price it as such. If it is a viable resto, then think about a) how much you are willing to spend, b) how much pennies and time you'll spend finding the rest of the parts, and c) add a fudge factor because things never go to plan. Whatever's left, spend as little of it as possible as you will underestimate c.

You'll then meet at least one person who will tell you you were ripped off, and at least one person who'll tell you you got a bargain.

You can easily spend a lot of money on a wreck that is not a viable resto if you're not realistic, so if it's a parts donor price it as such. If it is a viable resto, then think about a) how much you are willing to spend, b) how much pennies and time you'll spend finding the rest of the parts, and c) add a fudge factor because things never go to plan. Whatever's left, spend as little of it as possible as you will underestimate c.

You'll then meet at least one person who will tell you you were ripped off, and at least one person who'll tell you you got a bargain.

Plus you need to have bought it 20+ years ago to break even....

thanks for the replies so far every one, i am used to long lasting expensive projects as me and my dad restore traction engines so used to dealing with big machinery and high expenditure. we went to the sale in melksham a few months ago as we are only 4 miles up the road and dad got all excited over the artillery and i thought it would be a nice change to restore a tank instead of a steam engine. i like the M10 on milweb and dad agree's as it is big and has twin Detroit's in the back which is my kind of machine.

could some one say what region an M10 project would cost to purchase?

regards sam

hahah I like that :) you should add that you will also meet at least 40 people who will tell you of how many Shermans / M10s / Churchills etc etc ( slot in whatever name of tank you end up owning )....they could have bought for only £50 each but didn't for X number of reasons ..........

oh yeah .........and there will almost certainly be at least another dozen or so that will tell you they could have got you a brand new engine / gearbox/ turret etc for it for only £100 but they didn't know you wanted one :):):):)

cynical ? who me ? :)

The problem is that there are more than one valuation streams:

1) High profile auctions - where well healed individuals send an agent, prices can be anything if 2 agents gets into a bidding war. Usually their commission is a % of price, so they don't care.

2) Advertised such as a certain internet site well known to everyone. People see prices asked and when items sells assume that it sold for asked price. Maybe it did, maybe it didn't. But when was the last time anyone ran around bragging that they asked

$X for their vehicle and in the end accepted $2/3X?

3) The really really really annoying sale you find out about a week after it happened of a vehicle you have chased for 10 years, the owner would never sell, then some bloke walks in off the street and offers the owner 50% of what you offered 6 months previous.......

Owners response, "I got sick of people pestering me about the thing".

4) Owner dies, family sells vehicle to scrap yard for $120 per ton, vehicle is chipped and on its ways to China 2 days before your hear about it ........

Classic case, a bloke I know had a nice Ferret advertised for sale (this was a while back) for $15,000 with no takers, at the same time and same locality an auction was held. One buyer paid $43,000 for a Ferret in average condition with a seized engine. As the Yanks would say, "go figure".

Ultimately, the price can be anything, however the SALE price is what someone will pay. Which all depends on who is in the market at any particular time.

Regards

Doug