WW1 tank moved

Never to miss a chance to hijack a thread and promote my favorite Marque:

Crossley staff car + German rtnk 1.jpg

Very Rare image of a ........ Staff Car with German Sturmpanzerwagen A7V

Does anyone have any info on this particular tank?

Possibly Tank A7V number 540 was abandoned between October 6, 18 Wasnes-au-Bac and Bouchain

I pretty sure New Zealand was offered a German A7V Trophy tank but did not want the cost of shipping even as ballast!

Also from memory a WW1 German tank went to the US only to be scrapped in WW2.

I stand to be corrected on these points!

One of the Berthas survived into the Korean War era!

Nixie II was the A7V at Aberdeen.

7gljuq10.jpg

hivx1110.jpg

31612210.jpg

Off to the scrapman!

A segment of her armour & mg position was saved, on display at the Indiana Military Museum.

DSCN9413.jpg

I wonder now that the AWM has finally got hold of "Mephisto", whether they'll ever let her go back to QL!

I pretty sure New Zealand was offered a German A7V Trophy tank but did not want the cost of shipping even as ballast!

Also from memory a WW1 German tank went to the US only to be scrapped in WW2.

I stand to be corrected on these points!

You are correct.

The NZ Division captured two German tanks during the battle of Bapaume during August and Septmber 1918. Accounts of the time state the tanks had become stuck in a sunken road The two tanks were models A7V, one carrying the name Hagen while the un-armored supply tank was named Schnuck. Hagen was transported on to England and was allocated to be dispatched to New Zealand. It's size delayed getting it shipped with shipping companies not wanting to have it as deck cargo. As a result many smaller trophy guns were dispatched till funds ran out and the Hagen was passed back to War Office for their disposal. The rotating gun from Hagen was removed and shipped to NZ, however this appears to have been lost ( scrapped) during WW11. Schnuck's gun is on display at IWM North.

Information from "Great Guns of New Zealand The Artillery Heritage of NewZealand"; Cooke and Maxwell; 2013

One of the Berthas survived into the Korean War era!

Nixie II was the A7V at Aberdeen.

hivx1110.jpg

I wonder now that the AWM has finally got hold of "Mephisto", whether they'll ever let her go back to QL!

Looks like a Schneider tank on the left of the photo.

I understand a Schneider tank has been discovered complete except for armour in a French scrapyard in recent times, it had been used with a winch on a vineyard for many years. The particular machine was never a tank but used as a carrier in WW1 and will eventually be restored as a tank. I hope to see it when I visit France next year.